Need help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
Here is the problem, I need a new area to dig!
I am tired of living in Wa and am looking to relocate to a better area. I don't know where to start, except far from here!
The PNW is becoming extremely overpriced and overpopulated with rude people!
I want to be in an area, where there is great historic values and the people are friendly. Country would be fine. Willing to adapt to most kinds of weather and climates.
Prefer an area without posionous snakes.
Must have good diggin area's! A diggin buddy would be a plus!
Looking for ideas and suggestions! Anyone have any good ones?

walkingstick

Reaction score
I used to live out there near the flight path of SEATAC airport in the late 70s. It was too crowded then. I now live in Northern Minnesota as retired. I have been trying to find other collectors in the area, but alas, bottles are for storing beer to most of these folks, after that it goes to the trash.

I would also like to find a digging partner.

At least it is quiet here. The air is clean. History has a lot to do with the logging industry and it is about the only industry still in the area. Folks are friendly and the cost of living is fairly low in comparison to most places.

Snakes don't seem to like waiting until mid May to come out and play. I have heard there are not many snakes of any kind up here, but... I'll see.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Here in New England things are nice. Cost of living is less in most states except CT and Mass. But ME is my choice with NH as a close second. In ME you can get the mountains, ocean, and Boston in 1.5 hours (depending on area). I have many relatives there and really enjoy it. People seem nice, and if your honest, it goes a long way. Scenery is amazing. But the thing about Mainer's, they tend to like fellow Mainer's more. [:D]

Good about New England: Very historic, you get all 4 seasons to dig, not many poisionous snakes. Lived here 20 years and never seen a copperhead which is one of the few maybe 1 of 3 poisonous snakes. And I worked in the fields as a kid and kayak all summer. You see few.

Bad: Pricey at times, and you have to travel about 45 mins to get anywhere. Oh and taxes on breatheing.

You pick: There are lots of fellow diggers, tons of spots, etc. The bad is that the more diggers, well.....the more dirt you dig through that they dug through ! !

If I had my choice, outside Portland is very nice. Portland is a great city, Seattle of the East Coast. But if you want to dig then you might want to go alittle north of there. Portsmouth NH is great also. If not the near the city, all New England country is nice, but you see rocks everywhere. Esp. stonewalls.

(Some will say, what about CT (where I live). I would prefer to send a digger to you guys/gals in Maine. Leave CT to me. [:)])

Here is a pic I got at one of the rest stops in ME !

Nl28917.jpg

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time in Maine in the 70's-80's,always liked it, great people,Also spent time in Jamacia, on the south coast.........too many people, virgin digging though, all those old plantations.
Another good place for digging bottles is Belize.
I figure you just pick a place and go.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Carmen...

Southern Maine/Seacoast New Hampshire... There's no place on earth like it. Property taxes in NH are getting up there Lot of places out here to dig, great seasonal sports, hour outside of Boston, great areas to dig... plenty of nice folks, lower crime rate up here, good hunting, clean air, cold water, cold winters, plenty of snow and ice and of
course we have...

"The New England Bottle Show" on April 2nd... they made great glass out here too... Stoddard, Keene, Coventry...[:)]

Wayne

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I have came to the conclusion, I am going to load up the motorhome this summer and go, until I find a place I like.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I lived in Brownfield ME for a while. I use to walk to try and get lost. I figured I'd always end up somewhere.
One time, I remember walking up into the hills for about an 1½ hours and came across a nice old granite foundation. I went back up the next week with my metal detector, shovel etc. but something ate my breadcrumb trail and I never did find it again. I wish I had GPS back then or at least a compass. I'd rather find the dump than get lost now anyday.
There were some people that said go ahead but they get to keep what I dig. Their property I guess but not quite what I was hoping for.
Now I live in Metro West MA. A lot of close to the road private propery that people don't want a hole on, go figure. Some nice public reservoir or other no this and no that land. No lack of sales for the No Trespassing signs either.
If anyone needs a digging partner let me know. I'm as happy with the quest as the keeps at this point. Well, almost.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology