need info on this bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cglisson01

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to the bottle collecting hobby. I picked up this medicine bottle at the flea market today for 7.50. Hopefully I didn't get ripped off. It is a light pinkish/purple color. It's heavily embossed with "drugs hunters handles the best Fort Myers, Fla." On the side, and "Pat.App'd.For" on the bottom. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 216fa77e56d04b4db839216d235e064f.jpeg
    216fa77e56d04b4db839216d235e064f.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 78

andy volkerts

Reaction score
That would be a fair price for it. I presume that there no chips or cracks or scratches on it, at least doesn't look like any. Is there a mold mark on the sides of the lip that goes up to the very top of the bottle??? If so, it is probably around 1910-1920 in age. if there is no mold lines, then it is what is called a tooled top, and may be as old as 1890. It is what is commonly called in the bottle hobby as a prescription drug bottle, as most anything could be put up in this type bottle. these are fairly common types of bottles, but some in out of the way towns bring some big bucks. If you are going to start collecting these I would recommend getting the prescription bottle bottle book. I am not sure of the title, but somebody on here does know, and hopefully will tell us. Welcome to the forum, and this fascinating hobby we call antique bottle collecting.......Andy

botlguy

Reaction score
I do not know the specific rarity / value of the bottle but you definitely didn't get "Ripped Off". It appears to be an early 1900s pharmacy bottle in an attractive form. The color is a definite plus. I hope that you are not one of the "One Post Wonders" we get a lot of, Welcome to the forums and Please bring us pix of your future finds.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yes, nice bottle. here's a little info FROM There is a picture and other information as well. What size is it? It looks like it's graduated in oz and cc, maybe 6ozGeneral Note They're are probably a range of sizes to collect.[ul][*]Located on First Street, this store was opened in 1905 by pharmacist Nat H. Hunter and operated for 40 years. Now (1982) it is part of the renovated Bradford Block.[/ul]

cglisson01

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
That would be a fair price for it. I presume that there no chips or cracks or scratches on it, at least doesn't look like any. Is there a mold mark on the sides of the lip that goes up to the very top of the bottle??? If so, it is probably around 1910-1920 in age. if there is no mold lines, then it is what is called a tooled top, and may be as old as 1890. It is what is commonly called in the bottle hobby as a prescription drug bottle, as most anything could be put up in this type bottle. these are fairly common types of bottles, but some in out of the way towns bring some big bucks. If you are going to start collecting these I would recommend getting the prescription bottle bottle book. I am not sure of the title, but somebody on here does know, and hopefully will tell us. Welcome to the forum, and this fascinating hobby we call antique bottle collecting.......Andy
Thanks for the helpful reply. The mold lines do go all the way up the side of the bottle. And it is in surprisingly good shape with no chips, and just real light scratches

cglisson01

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
Yes, nice bottle. here's a little info FROM There is a picture and other information as well. What size is it? It looks like it's graduated in oz and cc, maybe 6ozGeneral Note They're are probably a range of sizes to collect.[ul][*]Located on First Street, this store was opened in 1905 by pharmacist Nat H. Hunter and operated for 40 years. Now (1982) it is part of the renovated Bradford Block.[/ul]
Thanks for the reply, if I'm looking at it right, I believe it is 6oz, and the other side says 150cc.

2find4me

Reaction score
Yes, you got a fair deal, I have the same one. Can't remember if I dug it or bought it...

botlguy

Reaction score
I have been asked to reveal the name of a pharmacy (Prescription Drug Bottle) bottle book I have referred to recently. The name of that one is: "California (Embossed) Drug Store / Pharmacy Bottles & Dose Glasses" by Edrick J Miller, published in 1997.This type of book is typically produced for individual states and a comprehensive book of the entire USA would probably weigh 50 pounds. I do not know if Florida has such a book but it would be wonderful if each state did. I also have a book on Washington state pharmacy bottles that I use regularly. These books, out of print, now cost several times their publish price. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR