Need pics, etc. of two bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

druggistnut

Reaction score
ANYTHING on either of the two bottles listed below would be greatly appreciated. Pictures, rubbings, drawings, any paperwork.
Dr David Ransom (Buffalo) was the sole proprietor for both meds and information is tough to come by.
If you know of anyone who might have either bottle, a photo would be outstanding, but I'll take anything you can send.
HALBERTS STAR KIDNEY & LIVER REMEDY (different variations of embossing)
DR HEDGES AGUE ANNIHILATOR
I believe both were pontiled. They show up in Baldwin's book, the pontiled med guide and Matt's book, so I know they are out there.
I'm an ancestor of Dr Ransom.
Thanks for any help.
Bill

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The Hedges bottles are fairly well known and not rare except for the pontil version.
Here is a somewhat poor photo of the pontil one from fleabay, sorry I dont have a better one.
Now the Halberts is whole other story. Cant say I have ever seen one. Keep in mind not all medicines listed in Baldwin came in embossed bottles. I'm not saying there isnt one, just saying I have no hard evidence of it. I havent researched that one but I get the impression its a later medicine.

DCA07899DF3741679E9F2DCA9DF1F7BD.jpg

Attachments

• DCA07899DF3741679E9F2DCA9DF1F7BD.jpg
    DCA07899DF3741679E9F2DCA9DF1F7BD.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 65

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://antiquemedicines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=229&start=0

here is an ad you might have interest in.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Hi Bill, I have an 1860's smooth base Hedges with a small lip chip, it's yours if you want it. It is a pretty cool looking early colorless bottle, really very nice except for the lip chip. Let me know, or you can PM me.
Bill

druggistnut

Reaction score
Matt,
Thank you for the picture and advert.
The "Fever & Ague Annihilator" embossing is different than everything I have run down on that bottle. I had only found the "Ague" reference.
I had never heard of the Dr Guilmette's before, so it is one more thing to research. That ad dates from 1871, the year before David died. There should be a reference to it in his earlier Receipt Books, but I haven't seen it.
I'm looking for a reference in old auction catalogs ( I can't find where I wrote it down) that reports the sale of a pontiled Halbert's. Perhaps I just dreamed it. Smile.

Yes, please post the trade cards, if it isn't inconvenient. I do have a quantity of them, but some of his proprietory meds (such as Morse's Indian Root Pills) haven't reflected the Ransom Drug Co connection, on labels or adverts. I am still looking for that type of paper, as well.

Bill,
I am definitely interested and thank you for offering it to me. I'll give you a call.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Looked up some stuff in one of my old reference books. This comes from Fike's "The Bottle Book", it is one of the very best old reference books. "Dr David Ransom began in Buffalo in 1846, .....one of the first is King of the Blood. In 1860-62 became D Ransom & Co, and in 1873 D Ransom, Son & Co. King of the Blood was still advertised in 1923" There is also a reference to a pontiled Ransoms Hive Syrup & Tolu introduced in 1859 put up by D Ransom also. I have only one price reference for it, described as green, square, and flared lip, it sold many years ago for $45, I imagine it would bring a pretty penny today. I'll mail out the Hedges tomorrow, it was good talking to you, good luck with your presentation..........Bill

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1