Need some help please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wedigdixie

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: appliedlips

ORIGINAL: genno0713

Genno!!! NO. "1" Lewistown, Pa. Digger!!!!

There is another digger from Lewiston isn't there? He seems to be a real class act, humble and very helpful. I think his name is Jim maybe you could hook up with him I am sure there is alot to learned from him.

Where is Lewiston? I live in Winterville NC

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Hello there,

I don't have much experience digging privies, but I am an excellent digger if I may say so myself. I live in Wilson, so if there is anything you need help with I would love to help out. Just to see the bottles come out is enough for me, don't collect the old ones so much....

Well, off base, but I put it out there! Best wishes!

wedigdixie

Reaction score
RE: Need some help please (UPDATE)

here is the modern day pic with what I found with a probe, when I probed the area of "possible privey" I hit wood but only on one side, but heard alot of either glass, brick or small rock crunching as I went down.

E075E56526BA411A9D1891EE9C8CBA3A.jpg

Attachments

• E075E56526BA411A9D1891EE9C8CBA3A.jpg
    E075E56526BA411A9D1891EE9C8CBA3A.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 42

surfaceone

Reaction score

Hey Matt,

Am I correct in placing the former "Servant's Ho." structure approximately where you indicate a "possible Privy"? Also, is the most easterly attached building on the dwelling shown on your Sanborn rendering now gone? I would assume this may have been the kitchen, back in the day?

Careful you don't dig up the ancestors.[8D]

I hit wood but only on one side, but heard alot of either glass, brick or small rock crunching as I went down.

This all sounds good. Only way to find out is to dig. There were quite a number of folks who lived on this property for a long long time. Gotta be a number of privies, I should think. How's come ya haven't cratered the place? Be careful not to give too much information on the location of this site.

cinema3.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Something like this now. Lots of modifications, knock downs etc? The graves look line they must be after 1855 Sanborn, the out buildings look like they were on them. If this was relatively rural in 1700 there may be pits all over as they moved them over and around. The 2 dwellings in 1855 may have had common or back to back. It looks like about 40' between them. Is the road on the other side of that one the dark line?
An I close? I see I squashed to satellite a bit.

10F1DD76436B40B38B476DB9466FD296.jpg

Attachments

• 10F1DD76436B40B38B476DB9466FD296.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 44

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

That semi attached building on the house may have held the carriages and had a privy too. New England homes used to do that in the attached barns. It may have been tipped fairly often.

wedigdixie

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hey Matt,

Am I correct in placing the former "Servant's Ho." structure approximately where you indicate a "possible Privy"? Also, is the most easterly attached building on the dwelling shown on your Sanborn rendering now gone? I would assume this may have been the kitchen, back in the day?

Careful you don't dig up the ancestors.[8D]

I hit wood but only on one side, but heard alot of either glass, brick or small rock crunching as I went down.

This all sounds good. Only way to find out is to dig. There were quite a number of folks who lived on this property for a long long time. Gotta be a number of privies, I should think. How's come ya haven't cratered the place? Be careful not to give too much information on the location of this site.

cinema3.jpg

I have not "cratered" it b/c this is to be done right the 1st time, that is just how I operate and even if someone where to figure out where this is they could not dig on it legally, this site is protected by the state of NC and the Historical Society, wedigdixie my buisness has done many excavations for the state and for the HS, we are also on the board of HS, this is how we have permission to dig the privey on this particular site.

The servants house was further back on the property around another 100 yards from the site marked as privey, the graves are from the 1700's to the 1830's, we are not certain that they are in the correct location

wedigdixie

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Something like this now. Lots of modifications, knock downs etc? The graves look line they must be after 1855 Sanborn, the out buildings look like they were on them. If this was relatively rural in 1700 there may be pits all over as they moved them over and around. The 2 dwellings in 1855 may have had common or back to back. It looks like about 40' between them. Is the road on the other side of that one the dark line?
An I close? I see I squashed to satellite a bit.

Yes the house has been remodeled god only knows how many times, I am going to the libary tomorrow to look for old plat maps of the area and see if I can find one older than 1850. the graves are actually before 1855 not sure why they are not shown on the map.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583