New at metal detecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello members, I recently bought a cheap metal detector from a friend and I have been playing around in my yard and found a lot of common coins. I would like to know the laws of going to state parks and old battle grounds since I live in Va. and there are several areas where battles took place. Do you need permission to dig in these type areas or just dig and make sure you repair all holes and not leave a mess ? I also live 1/2 mile from the James river, Is the river banks a good place to try ? Thanks for any advise in advance..... Kevin....

sunrunner

Reaction score
yes you need a permit for state land,thou you whont get one.battlefeleds are federal gov land.and they will put you in jail,if you are seen with a detector anywere neer them.Abandon school yards, camp grounds,old house sits are your best bet.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Always get permission!. Welcome to detecting!.

Macaco

Reaction score
Let other people know you have a metal detector. Friends, family, friendly strangers etc. Mention you are interested in looking for relics from the war. Could turn out someone you know happens to know someone with private property who might let you dig there. Mention you can find buried coins. You will be surprised how many stories you will hear about how "old so and so" supposedly buried cans of money on their property. Offer to split anything you find with the property owner to get permission. Good luck,Steve

andy volkerts

Reaction score
If you can find and old landing place on the James river, I suspect that you will find something good. Just be aware that private property is subject to shotgun holding owners , and big bad dogs...........

ironmountain

Reaction score
Hit up the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum. There are a bunch of people that hunt relics at old civil war sites. Many of these guys/girls live in VA and can help you out..very nice ppl on that forum. The way people are on the forum, you might find someone near you who will show you around and go hunting with you. GL and let us know what you find!

RCO

Reaction score
I got a metal detector a couple years ago , used it a bunch of times , been planning to go check out one of the larger beaches in area but haven't got around to yet . its hard to find stuff at first until you figure out how it works , I still haven't found that many coins

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4