A probing question for you all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I think it might be time to invest in a bottle probe.
I haven't used one this first year or so digging because I've been exclusively digging the creekbanks/side of ravines (areas on something of an incline) and have never had to do more than scrape off the first foot or two of soil (and let gravity to the rest) to find bottles.

But now I really want to thoroughly search this dump, but don't want to invest in something like a metal detector. I had dismissed probes until this point because of the rocky soil, but I'm running out of tools and techniques to find bottles. I have a few questions.

1) From what I can tell by this site, Old West Bottles seems to be the most recommended retailer for homemade probes. Is this gentlemen still in business? His website's still up. Just want to check.
2) I said the soil I want to probe is a little rocky, but more than anything it's rooty. That shouldn't be an issue, right? What sort of soil is going to be the hardest to probe? Is there a type of soil that's un-probe-able?
3) I can probe the ground of an incline right? as in, a hill side as opposed to level ground?

GAjosh

Reaction score
I haven't used one this first year or so digging because I've been exclusively digging the creekbanks/side of ravines (areas on something of an incline) and have never had to do more than scrape off the first foot or two of soil (and let gravity to the rest) to find bottles.

But now I really want to thoroughly search this dump, but don't want to invest in something like a metal detector. I had dismissed probes until this point because of the rocky soil, but I'm running out of tools and techniques to find bottles. I have a few questions.

1) From what I can tell by this site, Old West Bottles seems to be the most recommended retailer for homemade probes. Is this gentlemen still in business? His website's still up. Just want to check.
2) I said the soil I want to probe is a little rocky, but more than anything it's rooty. That shouldn't be an issue, right? What sort of soil is going to be the hardest to probe? Is there a type of soil that's un-probe-able?
3) I can probe the ground of an incline right? as in, a hill side as opposed to level ground?
Old west bottles makes the best probe you can commercially buy in my opinion and yes hes still in business.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

mingoman64

Reaction score
Had a guy make mine at work with quarter inch key stock.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Digger 57

Reaction score

I bought a harbor freight 2ft screw driver filed to a nice. Point works great in a dump you can prob around and feel the bottles . This wood not work for finding out houses. But does a great job in a dump

lisacachecreek8!

Reaction score
I used a 2 ft. screwdriver too. Works pretty good. Have a metal detector too that I use. I think its more work. I can dig and dig and never find the metal that it says is there. I give up too easily I think. lol

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I used a 2 ft. screwdriver too. Works pretty good. Have a metal detector too that I use. I think its more work. I can dig and dig and never find the metal that it says is there. I give up too easily I think. lol
How?
Do you really know your machine?

Dje2004

Reaction score

yes you can probe. were I dug last year it was a incline of a hill side and i probe it and it had rocks and ash roots in it because the probe that i have and other to can be used the same way

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler