New Bottle Enthusiast

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Laurels

Reaction score
I just may get hooked on this antique bottle collecting thing. After my father died, I found a small stash of antique bottles in his workshop. Should be fun to try to identify them.

swizzle

Reaction score
BOTTLES BOTTLES I LOVE BOTTLES NEED TO DIG MORE BOTTLES CAN'T GET ENOUGH BOTTLES. Consume what? Its just a hobby..uh..well a full time obsessive, type hobby. Jason

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
swizz, try liven in a frozen state, every year we have to go thru withdrawels, bless my family I'm tough on them haha, can't wait til spring, one good thing about winter, I love the research, don't do it much once the digging starts

Pn37572.jpg

venusta15

Reaction score
How do you find the milk glass stuff in amongst that lot!!!!
95 degrees and 85% humidity here........Phew

Mike

walkingstick

Reaction score
After livin' all those years warm climates and moving up here, (Bemidji, MN from what remains of Gulfport, MS) I am most definitely getting withdrawals, and cabin fever to boot. The ground typically freezes down to a depth of 9' and doesn't thaw out until June. I sure picked a good location to hide from hurricanes. Anyway, I am still looking for someone up here who even knows what a bottle is, then perhaps I can teach them how to open it.

I reckon I will have to take this ...
One step at a time.

swizzle

Reaction score
I live in upstate NY and know how tough frost can be to dig in. I've been detecting frozen beaches in January and chopped through a ring with an axe to get to it. I've tried a 3 pound sledge and a splitting wedge and busted through the frost line for 2 years now. Its not easy but I feel its worth it. Yesterday I was flipping over 100+ pound chunks of frozen bottles and rusty metal, snow and ice to get to the bottles underneath. I pulled out 2, EBENEZER A. PEARL'S TINCTURE OF LIFE in 30 minutes. Its the way I dig and live. It's what I love and how I relax. The harder work puts my mind at ease knowing that I really worked to get my rewards. It makes me sleep better at night knowing that old man winter can't stop me yet but he's really good at slowing things down. Today I did an 8+ mile hike to look for a cellar hole and some foundations that I found on paper. Just need to lock them into my gps. I didn't find the cellar hole or the foundations yet but I will. I did find 4 rock piles and an 18 foot long stone wall 4 miles back in. I like to call it field research. So yes I do live south of you in upstate NY but we do get frost too. Just gotta sit at home and research your next location and then get out there and do it. I'll admit that busting through the frost line is not easy and is not for everyone but its for me and its fun and it makes me feel free. I get cabin fever and literally go nuts locked up in a box all winter so I have to get out and do it. Its therapy for my soul. Jason

swizzle

Reaction score
Nice snow storm shot of your house. It didn't show the first time I looked at this post. The worst storm I saw was about 2 years ago. We had a snow storm that lasted about 4 or 5 hours and dumped 30+ inches. I can see why you wouldn't go digging with all of the extra overburden. The extra snow should help to insulate and reduce the amount of frost. The frost line around here can be anywhere's from 2 or 3 inches to 12+ inches thich and can be down as deep as 2 feet in places. I'd like to welcome to our crew walkingstick who I introduced to this forum via ebay. Jason

walkingstick

Reaction score
Thanks Jason. We don't get enough snow to inulate the ground, so the ground freezes down typically to around 9 feet and won't be thawed out until May or early June. Until it thaws out it is dangerous to dig... too much water bubbling up making the ground a mudslide waiting to happen.

Hey bottle nuts! Do you ever get caught fondling your bottles or am I all alone.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles