New Bromo!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Bromos are so common with diggers that they have become the Rodney
Dangerfield of bottles. Some pits have yielded hundreds and sooner or later most diggers will have dug their fill of these little cobalt bottles. This no respect feeling is also heightened by the fact that newbies and non-bottle people think they are something special, not knowing any better. For me, they are a local bottle and few Baltimore success stories are any better than this one:

They were invented in 1888 by Captain Isaac Edward Emerson a chemistry
instructor turned pharmacist. I have one of his “before bromo†Emerson’s Pharmacy bottles. In 1894 then "Lieutenant" Emerson formed the Maryland Naval Reserves and in 1898 during the Spanish American War provided the ship and the entire crew for the U.S.S. "Dixie". Of course when bromo seltzer took off, he became rich and erected in 1911 the Bromo Seltzer Tower Building, a famous Baltimore landmark still standing today. For a long, long time it was the tallest building in Baltimore having a 15th floor but only 14 actual floors since there was no 13th floor. At one time it sported a 51 foot high cast iron blue bromo bottle on its top that was illuminated with 596 blue lights and revolved; this guy knew how to advertise! Since other bottle suppliers couldn't supply them enough bottles, he had one of his employees start the Maryland Glass Corporation which he owned controlling stock in. Supposedly when he divorced his first wife and she got the house he had a large building erected directly across the street to block her view of the harbor! The company invented Fizzies who you oldsters will remember was a drink you made by adding flavor tablets to water, kind of like how alka-seltzer works. They were also in the soft drink business in the early 1900’s. More info can be found at these websites:

See article 137 & 139 at Cecil Munsey’s web site:
http://cecilmunsey.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=18&dir=ASC&order=name&Itemid=34&limit=20&limitstart=20

Another: http://www.scripophily.net/emdrugcomofb.html

And here: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-209979/mpage-1/key-Cecil/tm.htm#210107

This lack of respect for cobalt bromos has helped me put together a growing collection of off-color bromos. This is my latest pick up. I got this not only for the color but the size, off-color bromos get scarcer with size and mostly occur with the 2 ½†and 4†ones. This one is a 5†and almost looks black with no back light. According to the Baltimore bottle book there is a 3 ½†in yellow green (like the green of the Red Dragon Seltzer bottles) but I have never seen one. Chris has told me he has seen one and a much larger green one of similar color.

1DD5D49EB4164D498EDB4228030F5BCF.jpg

Attachments

• 1DD5D49EB4164D498EDB4228030F5BCF.jpg
    1DD5D49EB4164D498EDB4228030F5BCF.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 63

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Here it is held up to the sun and blue sky. Believe it or not in person it has some really nice cold mould whittle!

F9713FCCFF5348B499BDDDDE3C5CA7C3.jpg

Attachments

• F9713FCCFF5348B499BDDDDE3C5CA7C3.jpg
    F9713FCCFF5348B499BDDDDE3C5CA7C3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 63

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I took this picture in front of some dirty windows at work. In this picture (third from right) it looks teal green and can look from that to prussian blue depending on the light - what color would you call it?

I am looking for a teal green in the four inch size if anyone has one for sale. Also would love a yellow green one or any color and size I do not have. Rhona is tumbling (ha!) my 2 1/2 inch very light cobalt with the backward Z. I will post a better pic of all of them when I get that back.

631AFF217A5446F78C7B83D3E48EC84F.jpg

Attachments

• 631AFF217A5446F78C7B83D3E48EC84F.jpg
    631AFF217A5446F78C7B83D3E48EC84F.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 59

cracked bottle

Reaction score
Steve,

Nice looking off color Bromo you have there. Bromo's may get a bad rap but you won't hear that from my seven year old son. He has a collection of them and they are his favorites. It was the Bromo's that got him interested in collecting bottles.

Marc

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I've heard that color called "smokey blue" we dug a couple of the small size at the drugstore-dig this year that were borderline teal/prussian blue.....I can't help but love them, because of the fact that my first exposure to antique bottles when I was 12 or 13 was a little melted bromo in a tail pile at a dump we happened across in the woods.....That would have been in the early 70's...[:)]

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks for responding guys I obviously think they are cool too and have a very cool history. For now I'm just sticking to the bottles, the number of go withs for this company is unbelievable - wouldn't mind having one of those cars though[:D]. I guess we all loved discovering the first one or first few. Trying to keep that simple joy of discovery alive works for me, its so easy to get jaded. This one does look like the "smoky blue" in the blue sky picture but when you put it next to one of those in the 2 1/2" size it looks greenish in contrast. I was watching you guys pull those from the drugstore place. If you line them all up you probably have a few slight variations in color. I would love to find a five inch or larger in aqua or some other color.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem