New Cellar hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
I located a cellar hole after revisiting a colonial detecting site this week. About 30 flat buttons and tons of broken iron pot pieces were dug with a few shards of glass here and there. The last foundation I dug 2 years ago was a back-breaker with no intact bottles, however an ornate shoe buckle and bracelet came out of the bottom. Similar to this one, farmers threw in rocks so my hopes are grim but it's still a time capsule from another century.I will keep you posted if anything decent is dug; I think the site is from late 18thC-1820. If any of you have had any luck digging these, let me know. All I want is one pontiled black glass bottle!

swizzle

Reaction score
Hopefully you can locate the privy. That should give you a better chance at digging a whole bottle that old. Good Luck, Swiz

David Fertig

Reaction score
I dig 6 feet of 20 year old junk out of a privy and everyone thinks I'm crazy. VA digs a whole cellar out!

Dave

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Started digging today about 2-3 foot depth; stone lined, but quite narrow; looks like only 5x12'. So far a few bricks, shards, horseshoes, rocks, many cut nails, and a cool coat hook, and a flat button. Because of farmer rocks, I need to scrape the top layer with the backhoe! I hope there are no archaeologists reading this; but instead of a year, this cellar hole might be dug out by the end of next week. I'll keep you posted with a few pics next week. I also located a barnsite close to the foundation, that is about 12x35' brick lined before farming busted it up. Privies in this area are shallow (rural) so I think it will be a needle in a haystack!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28