New Digger

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shmoyork

Reaction score
Hello There. Well, I'm new to this so please bare with me. I recently found out that my property was once part of a family orchard farm which is still going strong. Their peach orchard is actually just across the dirt road. This family's farm goes back 5 generations and at some point they sold some of their land which I eventually aquired. I also recently found out that the farm dump sight is about 50 yards from my front door. I just started digging. Is there anyone out there who wouldn't mind answering some questions? Or giving advise? I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have to ask to give me any advise. I am so excited about this. I used to "dig" with my grandmother as a little girl, and I loved it!! Of coarse I didn't appreciate what I was doing then. Now I can see why she enjoyed it so much. That look on her face when she found something. BC my questions could go on and on, I'll just wait for a response to see if anyone is interested in helping me out with this. If it helps at all, everything I've been finding on the top (literally popping out of the dirt) seems to be from around the mid 70's. Thanks so much! - The new girl...

twowheelfan

Reaction score
welcome! i dont have real experience with dump digging, but newer stuff is always on top, so dig down until you find what seems like the natural ground. the older the stuff is the better stuff. logic says that stuff near the bottom was put there first. take some pictures of what you find and post them here. heck post pics of what it looks like! we love pictures! sounds real exciting! i'm sure that you will get some information here.
search around on these blue pages and you will find all kinds of information and perhaps answers to some or most of your questions that you might have for now. have fun and ave everything that looks cool. anything that is embossed, has a painted label that is good and readable is a good start. if it has a cork type lip ( no screw on threaded caps) thats a plus!

botlguy

Reaction score
I second twowheelfan's Welcome and other comments.

Please send pictures, click the "Embed picture in post" box and make your pictures about 1200 kb in size, focus on the subject not the house across the street, use PostReply (lower left) to add more than one picture. Describe what you are viewing and ask what information you want to know about each.

We are newbie friendly and enjoy showing off all we know, so come back and have fun.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
squeaky mid 1970s? You gonna have to go down just a tad deeper past the plastic stage or find another dump less toxic. Old farms have a lot of chemicals in the type of dump you described. Make your pictures about 1200 kb in size, botlguy Jim meant to say 120 kb...... 1200 will get you real mad and not work Everything else he and Tim recommended are good for starting out.

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
I would say there are some good finds to be made in 1970s dumps. I dig lots of new dumps. You have a good chance of finding acl sodas, marbles, toys, license plates and more. Here is a keeper that I found at a late 60s dump.

3DD95AD0F02849149309994A0C48F3D0.jpg

Attachments

• 3DD95AD0F02849149309994A0C48F3D0.jpg
    3DD95AD0F02849149309994A0C48F3D0.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 79

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler