New England Bertinquiot ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

annie44

Reaction score
Here's my one and only Shupp's Grove purchase......nice dark amber ink!

4457B005AEE64DECBA569546E788FA0D.jpg

Attachments

• 4457B005AEE64DECBA569546E788FA0D.jpg
    4457B005AEE64DECBA569546E788FA0D.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 63

annie44

Reaction score
Thanks Joe and Chris!

I didn't know that you were going to be there Chris or I would have looked for you - I was in and out pretty early on Saturday, as I combine this show with a visit with my mom who lives 10 minutes from Shupps Grove.

Hope to see you there next year, and you too Joe!

annie44

Reaction score
They come in different colors, and some are French in origin. I am going to take the liberty of quoting earlyglass from an earlier post on this forum, regarding a really nice light colored Bertinquiot that he had on his website:

"Although the look of the Bertinquoit ink has the characteristics of a Coventry CT piece, to me, it is probably a product of an early Stoddard Glassworks. Joseph Foster, and his son George Foster, would make regular trips to Canada. They had family, conducted trade, and dealt with merchants. They would come to build a glasshouse in Quebec during the mid-1850s. I think the Bertinquoit is older than that (1840s) and based upon the relationship to the Canadian market it is highly likely they were blown in Stoddard. However... and there is always a twist... I have seen these inks with CT labels too! So, let's call them "New England". "

earlyglass

Reaction score
I haven't been on here in a while, but it looks like I am still here! :) Cindy, very nice ink! I stand by my thoughts that this is a New England inkwell, but not sure if it is CT or NH... still no conclusive evidence yet, however, I will ask if any shards were found at Coventry. The labels (and one was just on Ebay) are from CT. I really can't believe that these olive amber inkwells would have been produced overseas for the New England market with willing glasshouses right around the corner. All of the characteristics say New England, circa 1830s.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
There was a partially labeled beauty that just sold on ebay for $172.00 I believe. I wish I had the scratch, cause it was a nice one, similar to yours.Nice bottle annie.

annie44

Reaction score
Here is a partial description given for the one Rick C. sold on ebay recently:

"This inkwell has been in my private collection for many years and was found in an old barn in Northeast Connecticut. There are several variants and different molds. The cobalt ones are French. This variant is definately New England and probably a product of the Coventry Glass Works, Coventry Conn, circa 1825 or so. For decades this attribution has stuck due to shards found in the vicinity of the glassworks site."

Sorry to be stealing your words, Rick and Mike, but you are both experts on the subject!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75