New Finds in Australia

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nic.au

Reaction score
I'm working on a job in one of Australia's Major cities. Along a old river bank that was back filled some 50 years ago to make way for new roads etc. There used to be an old jetty I belive which the early settlers used from 1850's Most of the finds that are whole, are marbled soda bottles complete with seals, medicine and wine bottles. lots of old porcelin but all broken and some stone ware. But one I've got is a wine shaped bottle with a vine on it and L ROSE & CO embossed on the front. On the base it has J K & S, then a W, and 1558. Which I belive is John Kilner and Sons. The little green one has Robert Harper & co 9.2.91 on it and empire co. The stone ware has no marks, may be honey pots? Any info would be interesting.

Ay73583.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ay73583.jpg
    Ay73583.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 93

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Nic,
Your L.Rose bottle is a Rose's Lime Cordial bottle.Rose's is still made to this day,as most any bartender can you! Nicely embossed,but not uncommon anywhere in the former British Empire.Can't tell you much about your Harper's,except that the shape suggests a sauce bottle.The stoneware look like general food jars,they could have held anything from honey to jam to pickles.Still all nice to look at and a good start to your collection!

KAT

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi nic.au, welcome to the forum [:D] .
Robert Harper had a huge factory in Port Melbourne and made food products and household stuff I think the Empire brand was a polish.
The stoneware is (L to R) a Chinese ginger jar (they where a general purpose container, we just call them that as a lot of them had ginger in them) and a cheese jar.
The Rose's is an English cordial as bigkitty53 said.
Any chance of a photo of your marble bottles ?

nic.au

Reaction score
Thank's for the info guys, all this is new to me although over the years working in civils I have picked up heaps, I never realy took much interest and gave most away. Just keeping the odd one as a momento of the jobs. The Marble bottles are still at work Irish or I have given them away but I shall get some home in the week and take some pic's. They are all similar to this one, which is English, made by Redfearn Bros in Barnsley for Hawkes & Shepheard of Newton Abbot which is in Devon. I dug this one up about 25 years.

Mk27652.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Mk27652.jpg
    Mk27652.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 79

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day nic.au

Robert Harper also had a major factory in Brisbane, Queensland which produced sauces, pickles etc. He patented the "Empire' brand in 1891, hence the date on the bottle - your bottle is a sauce which is also found in aqua/amethyst. There is a wide mouth version probably used for pickles/relish.

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

kastoo

Reaction score
G'day! It's good that you're not throwing them away..giving away is much better! Thanks for the pics!

nic.au

Reaction score
Here is two of those bottles Irish. The one on the left has a hand on it & Donaldson & Collins the other has a Lion in a shield with Crowder & Letchford.

Rp44922.jpg

Attachments

• Rp44922.jpg
    Rp44922.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 91

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85