NEW IDEA FOR FINDING INSTEAD OF PROBES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Okay maybe its not new I don't know I just havent read about anyone doing it.....I am thinking about getting a metal detector. If you think about it privies or any other kind of dump has metal and DEFINITELY some metal caps for the bottles. I'm wondering if this idea would work effeciently.....I know you might dig up a nail, but not if you pay attention. I figure, that if you are scanning a prime area for a dump or privy, if you have multiple detections within a small area maybe that means you found something.....I'm not sure....The one I'm looking at is 200 bucks (serves my basic needs and is cheap enough) and I want your guy's opinions before i go running out to get one.....Do you think this would work? Also I thought you could use it in conjunction with a probe so that once you think youve found something you could probe to make double sure.......not to mention you can find all sorts of other goodies while searching..

Say youre out in the woods and youve got no idea where to start....get off and running with the detector....I have found 2 bottle dumps in the middle of the woods so it is not uncommon. (Check what ive seen along the way to see the car i found that helped me find the dump....its the station wagon, and it was a few miles in the middle of nowhere in the deep woods) That lets me know that dumps can be in the most inconspicuous and unexpected places.

David E

Reaction score
Right on about detectors and you do not have to buy an expensive one if all you need it for is the woods. Don't think you will have much luck on prieves because of to deep.
I have found numerous small dumps in woods using a detector. And even a small diamond gold braclet. I like Whites or Garett's.
Dave

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
well i want the whites model Prizmâ„¢ III Metal Detector. Its like the second above the lowest model for them and i want it because it shows you how deep the object detected is. It also tells you on the screen what has been detected so you dont dig up junk....I figure if you set the discrimination on the lowest setting and sensitivy on the highest it should get down deep enough. It also has this thing called pinpointing which (i think) lets you push a button and you can find out exactly where the thing is so that you can find it without sweeping.....Also if if wont get down deep enough cant you get a bigger search coil?

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
BTW you can look it up here http://www.whitesmetaldetectors.com/prizm3w.php or look at all the detectors here http://www.whiteselectronics.com/detectorlineup.php#proseries The highest priced one is 1100 bucks!!!!

pearcouch

Reaction score
sorry, but your not going to find any privys with a metal detector. i can give you as many reasons as you have time to listen to but the most obvious is that the bottles you are going to find in a privy worth digging didnt have metal caps and if they did they would be 15 - 20 feet below grade which i assume wouldnt register on a metal detector..

keep thinking!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I can't speak for a privy because I have never personally dug one. However, I have dug numerous pre 1900 bottle pits and everyone of them have been found with a metal detector. These pits averaged 3 to 5 feet deep. Back then, a pit was a pit. They threw everything in it including metal of all sorts. A good detector will pick up a can 12" deep and a 5 gal. bucket 2 feet easily. If you have a large coil, it will go much deeper than that. Look for surface glass, check for numerous hits with your detector in a confined area, probe, dig, but most importantly..... get lucky.[;)] Happy Diggin, Kelley

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey All, I never use the discriminator on my detector; I WANT to find the "junk". I picked up my det. for $65 on ebay (including shipping) and it does a good job for me.
The real important thing to know about finding bottles is; YOU HAVE TO DIG, DIG, DIG!! [sm=lol.gif]

card

Reaction score
I have used a metal detector in the past and have found some great digging places with it. Once you find the good digging area you won't need the detector until the next time.
I once found a whole area full of the old Shell oil cans, which now sell great on eBay.
Happy digging!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4