New member from northern Michigan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pointer80

Reaction score
I actually live in the lower peninsula about a hour north of Grand Rapids. I guess some would consider that central Michigan. lol.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I dug in a town called Morley about a hour north of Grand Rapids, Are you familar with Morley? LEON.

pointer80

Reaction score
Hi Leon, Yes i am very familiar with Morley. My friend that I metal detect with lives just outside of Morley. I am about 15 min. from Morley. I would love to sit in on a privy dig sometime just to learn the ropes. Thanks and HH.

hemihampton

Reaction score
A Friend of mine owned his own Roofing co here in Detroit. One of his workers used to live in Morley & his Mom & Relatives still did. This was back around 2002. His worker said his relatives owned a House just outside of town with 10 acres & out back was a dump. He said we could dig it. At the time I was digging/Collecting Beer Cans, not much into bottles or Privies. SO, We go for a visit & the dump was to new. No good. BUT, I'll always remember before we left we stopped by his Moms house. His Mom still had a old still standing privy not in use. I remember inspecting it closely & it had a row of bricks under the outhouse, these bricks went way behind the outhouse & right behind the outhouse I could see a Big Indentation in the ground where it once sat. They filled the hole & moved it up a few feet for the new hole. Funny thing is you could see like 2-3 holes behind it where they kept moving it over the years. She said we could dig the old priviy holes. My roofer buddy ended up firing the guy & we never did dig them. Now that I'm more into bottles & privy I keep wondering what we could of left behind in those holes? LEON.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Welcome from another Michigander! I've been in your area a bunch of times. Not bottle hunting but still been around Mi. alot. Would love to dig but have shoulder probs. But be careful.... you might become a bottle junkie!!!!

InHealing

Reaction score
Road sides in farm towns are awesome, also against fences. Long ago and even today farmers will burn their trash instead of paying to haul it to the dump. My best finds have been in old farmer dump and burning sites. Don't think that those first 8 inches of dirt is all there is to see, ya need to be careful but dig deep

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter