new MLK statue in DC made in China

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
ya know,the little ''hills'' moles make in you yard?[8|][;)]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I know what mole hills are, but is it reference to the issues of the time in Mississippi. Seemingly little, but oh so important? Making a mountain out of a mole hill? Please treat me as an idiot as I do not profess to know much about these times as they were just before I was born.

PD

carobran

Reaction score
i think it was reffering to every hill and mole hill,as in absolutely everywhere,but i aint sure,sometimes i dont think things through[8|][&:][;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mr. Mator,

I saw my first TV news story on the King Memorial today via CNN. Maya Angelou ain't happy either.

maya-angelou.jpg

king-quote.jpg

"Poet and author Maya Angelou is not happy with a paraphrased quote from Martin Luther King Jr. inscribed in his new memorial in Washington, saying the shortened version makes him sound like an “arrogant twit†because it’s out of context, reports the Washington Post.

The words were from a sermon King delivered Feb. 4, 1968, at Atlanta’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, two months before he was assassinated, about a eulogy that could be given when he died.

King said, “Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matter.â€

On Tuesday, Angelou, who consulted on the memorial, told The Post King would have never said of himself that he was a drum major, Angelou said, but rather that others might say that of him.

“He had a humility that comes from deep inside,†Angelou told newspaper. “The ‘if’ clause that is left out is salient. Leaving it out changes the meaning completely.†From.

"The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial was designed and sculpted by a Chinese artist using Chinese materials and designed in China. It was eventually transported in pieces to America to be assembled, but only with the aid of a team of Chinese stonemasons who were flown in specifically for the job. Stateside, the masons worked free of charge to erect the monument and when asked by the Washington Post why they accepted the job on pro bono terms, one worker said “to bring glory to the Chinese people†and to work for “national honor...â€

"Elsewhere, those behind the monument are receiving criticism for selecting a Chinese sculptor for what some say was an issue of money. One African American sculptor, Ed Dwight, says he was told by the backers of the MLK Memorial that they were hoping that choosing a Chinese artist would persuade the Chinese government to give them upwards of $25 million to reach their fundraising goal. Speaking to The Telegraph, Dwight adds that King would be “turning over in his grave†if he knew that his monument was made in a communist country..."

"There is at least one solid connection between communism and the MLK memorial, however. One of Yixin’s most notable works on his resume include a sculpture of Chinese dictator Mao Zedong. Yixin says he has also fashioned a bronze bust of US President Barack Obama, which he intends on giving to the commander in chief." From.

martin-artist-king-luther-155.n.jpg
king1.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score
That is quite upsetting. MLK was a great man and should be honored better then this. The whole thing is sad.
With all the talent in this country the black community couldn't find one of their own to design and build this monument.

It reminds me of the cheap imported fake Hawaiian style stuff that Walmart sells to the tourist.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide