New Reality show idea

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: creeper71

ORIGINAL: lexdigger

You know, YEARS ago they did a show on bottle digging and a lot of diggers were all up in arms worrying about how it was going to impact our hobby. The truth be told... the impact was EXACTLY 0%.

You either get bitten by the bug, or you don't. No amount of TV shows, Websites, Books or ANY other type of influence is going to convert the Masses. I have literally TRIED to get people into it locally so that I would have some digging partners/friends. The fact is that MOST people would not dig a six foot deep hole if they knew FOR SURE there was GOLD in the bottom.

People have been doing this stuff for YEARS and will continue to do it long after we're gone. There are Millions of pits to be dug out in this world and there is NO WAY we could dig them all in our lifetimes.

Think about it... would you do something you Truly did not enjoy just for money? There is no amount of cash in the world that could get me to sit and play video games for days on end.

I highly doubt this show will go noticed by many people outside of the hobby. All of my Hundreds of family members and friends know that I dig for bottles and search for arrowheads and not a Single person has asked me about the show or even acknowledged it's existence.
The show was called trash an treasure or something close to that name..anyways that sparked my interest again.. Only reason people didn't go ape poop digging bottles is the guy used some type of ground xray type machine on a black topped parklot so it looked like to expensive an hard work for a lil pay out to the common folks...

What Lex said----
and it is hard work (harder) with out the stupid xray machine[;)]

lexdigger

Reaction score
The show was Cash and Treasures. One dig did use GPR, but another dig was just simple privy diggers with probe rods in someones back yard. The average person looks at me and thinks I'm CRAZY when they see me digging or hear me talk about it. Even with the possibility of finding things that are worth Lots of money. Most people look at it and think about the fact that we are digging up old Crap holes and say... "Hell NO! No way I'm digging that hole!"

baltbottles

Reaction score
You know I'm probably one of the few who would still go around digging privies even if the stuff was worthless. I mean its great exercise and good time spent with friends outdoors and you tend to meet many interesting people. The last couple homeowners we met were very interesting people. And the digs were fun even the one that wasn't very productive. I also enjoy all the broken stuff we find some of the ceramics I find far more interesting then bottles.

Chris

deep digger

Reaction score
Yea!! Just what Chris said. I have been diggin privies for over thirty years. If bottles were worthless I would still be doing it. I just like the fact of never knowing what you might find. There is just nothing else like it.And dont forget thirty years ago stuff was not all that valuable and we still dug like mad men. The money just doesnt matter. Its all about the 'STUFF'. All you real diggers know you just cant get enough.DEEP

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
If the money "doesn't matter" why sell anything at all??? That is why I still have the ole puce Eagle I dug 5 years ago, because money is NOt why I dug for bottles. Actions speak louder then words.

lexdigger

Reaction score
The episode where they probed out pits in a back yard was up in New York or New Jersey. It rained all day long and they dug a pit for just a few keepers. I was kinda cool, but the diggers who were being filmed caught all sorts of negativity from it... even though they portrayed digging for bottles in a positive light.

While I agree with Chris on the fact that I would Still dig bottles even if they were Worthless, I don't think selling off commons or duplicates is unethical or negative to this hobby. There are plenty of people who would LOVE to dig privies and dumps but because of Heath reasons or Handicaps, they can not. I Enjoy selling off things that I've dug and seeing the smile on the persons face when they add to their collections. I also Enjoy Giving away bottles to friends, homeowners, family members or Anyone else who shows a genuine interest in the history or even just a simple fascination with something from the past.

Bottom line is that No TV show, website, newspaper article, or anything else is gonna get people into this hobby for a profit. I have dug my fair share of Pits and know that MOST holes do not hold monetary value. Anyone in it to make a living will be Sadly mistaken when the actual Reality of it sets in.

keithstanfield

Reaction score
I generally dig because i think old bottles,(as well as ANYTHING,from the 19th century)are beautiful.dont want to sound like a girl-but beauty is what motivates me. that being said;money is cool as well.anyone who says they are un-motivated by money are kidding themselves and others.you guys are right though-if i wanna see video of digging-i should hit up youtube.id rather see bill ladd(hes entertainig,ill give him that)than dickhole savage..........

NyDigger1

Reaction score
honestly i wouldnt want there to be any tv show about treasure hunting because just like from the load of crap "american diggers" people get the wrong idea. If anyone has seen the Brooklyn privy episode IT NEVER WORKS LIKE THAT!

its just a ploy by large corporations to sell the people **** that they dont need. Every person who watches the show thinks that if they get a metal detector that theyll strike it rich... it doesnt happen like that.

No one thought of this:

If people watch shows about dumps and privies it will be harder for us real collectors to get permissions to dig anywhere because the owners will want to do it themselves, thinking that theres thousands of dollars lines up in their backyards. Its not always the case, true you do sometimes find jewelry and coins at a dump but has anyone ever seen an "american digger privy? let me break it down how they did it on the show:

In order of depth and what they found (shallow to deep)

1890s bottles (lashs bitters included)
ww1 box with compass / other war memorabilia
1860s revolver (not even rusted!)
1920s gold ring
1600s-1700s sterling silver spear from india

is it just me or is that order messed up?!?! and why are the items in such good condition?!, the ww1 box or compass were mint, the revolver was mint, the spear wasnt even oxidized.

Another thing, WHO WOULD THROW THOSE THINGS INTO A PRIVY ON PURPOSE?!?!?!?! the bottles and ring i understand but a sealed box a revolver and spear DONT BELONG

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: creeper71

I will pass on this Idea, I know you mean well. Once the masses know bottles have real value our digging days are over.. All my other hobbies are long gone thanks to these jack ass shows..don't need digging to go too...

I disagree. "Since American Fat head Digger" aired I have had a hand full of permissions. I make sure I bring that show into the conversation. Not ONE person said they thought the show was real. The majority thought the guy was a idiot. Obviously if they thought they could get rich from the "artifacts" buried in their yard,I would not be digging holes there [;)]

So bring on the entertainment[;)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960