New to bottle collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
So I’ve always thought bottles were cool but I have always assumed I would never find any bottles worth keeping or selling. Well it turns out I am literally standing on what has turned out to be a gold mine for old bottles. Hundreds of them I have already uncovered. All in one piece and many of them with cork that I have been able to save. (Not sure if that matters) Now I am trying to learn how to identify bottles with no makers mark and what to do with 30 Heinz ketchup bottles from 1919. Any advice?

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Ok. Here are 72 of the bottles. The pictures with 4 and 5 bottles are bottles that are hand blown

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69

embe

Reaction score
Cool finds. you think it was once an old dump? Store? Saloon?

Backyard goldmine

Reaction score
Cool finds. you think it was once an old dump? Store? Saloon?
Ok. Here’s the best information I can give. There is a file on the edge of my property. My property used to be in the tidal zone. I can’t find when the dike was made. Under water at high tide. All the bottles I’ve found and been able to date because of makers marks are pre 1930. This morning I was moving dirt around with my shovel and hit a layer of “felt paper” or “land scraping cloth” for lack of a better term. The 6 bottles I found this morning were just under that cloth. About 6”-9” below what grade is now. Clay is about another foot down. I’ve found some very old copper plumbing of some kind. An older sink faucet, about 6 soles of shoes, some bricks and a 1 inch diameter round light bulb. The bad part is that most of what I’ve dug up was with a back hoe so I don’t have too much detail about what was around the bottles in most of the ditch.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75