New to forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snappybob

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been collecting bottles for a long time sporadically since I was a teenager working in a soda bottling plant. I was reading about the old Lone Star Brewery in San Antonio today and it was mentioned that during prohibition they bottled a non alcoholic drink called Tango. I have never heard of it or seen a Tango bottle and I live in San Antonio. I can't find any info on it on the web. I did a search on this forum but didn't find anything. Has anyone ever heard of this. I would like to find a picture of a Tango bottle. They would probaly be pretty rare if they were only bottled during prohibition. I'm looking forward to learning from this forum. Up to now all I've been doing is finding them by chance and putting them on a shelf. I'm sure you guys know many tricks for cleaning, searching for them and displaying them. Thanks

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Snappy, or do you prefer Bob? Anyway, you have come to the right place, there are lots of friendly, informative show offs here. [:D][8D]Can't help with your inquiry but I suspect one of our wizards can. Good Luck!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Brewing_Company
In the prohibition part it mentions Pearl changed it's name to The Alamo Foods Co..
I mention that because in the cerial beverage part of the 1925 beverage guige Alamo Foods is listed for San Antonio.

"Privately held and poorly run for two years, the City Brewery was purchased by an investment group in 1883. The investment group was composed of local businessmen and several moguls already involved in brewing at San Antonio's other major brewery, the Lone Star Brewing Company. "

I'm not sure what connection is but it looks like there was one. Information from something other than wiki would be nice. It's not as good as old books and advertising like the sign above.

Perhaps Alamo made it and Lone Star bottled and put their name on to somehow deceive the Feds while they sneaked the real stuff out. It would be fun to prove.

Then there's this,
http://www.sanantonio.gov...stricts/Lone_Star.aspx

Aloysia

Reaction score
Hello.....I am also somewhat new to this forum and I am also a research person. I looked up Tango and found it advertised in a few old newspapers. I found an advertisement in the Waco Morning News on May 12, 1918 by Lone Star Brewing in San Antonio, It talks about the "rich malt flavor....that it is sold to clubs, cafes, fountains. It shows a gentleman holding the bottle saying "His favorite beverage "TANGO".

Another advertisement was in the Cameron Herald on August 8, 1918. Shows a waiter holding a platter with three bottles of Tango and glasses. Says "There's nothing quite like Tango....it has a rich malt flavor you'll like. It cools and refreshes and makes your palate dance with joy. Shows Mondrik Brothers as wholesale distributors in Cameron, Texas.

There were other newspapers........but these two that I have talked about should give you the feeling of what and how Tango was advertised. You can't tell much about the bottle as thee are old newspapers and the pictures are not that clear.

I will look around when I have the time and will submit a post if and when I find something more interesting. I would think that there are some old bottles around but they just haven't been found.

Best Regards........

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well snappy bob if I can be of any help I can send you a description of what we look for to identify hand blown bottles. Or you can visit my homepage and then send me an email.RED Matthews

snappybob

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies and links. I have read quite a bit about the Lone Star and Pearl breweries but somehow that Wiki page eluded me. As time permits I'll peruse the site more. Thanks Again.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster