New with a question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

muddytonix

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was out working in a garage that has been torn down. I am cleaning up the wood and glass and nails. While doing this I saw a bottle sicking half out of the dirt so I worked for 20 mins. to get it out.
Anyway it is a White House VInegar bottle. That is about all I know.
I have a picture to show. If anyone can tell me more about it.
I also would like to know what to clean it with. There are a few places that need a good cleaning and I have no idea what to clean it with.
Thank you,
Julia

Ec89289.jpg

glopf43

Reaction score
Hello Julia and welcome to the forum. You got a nice one there [8D]. I just found the exact same bottle but mine has the spout broken off [:mad:]. I think you'll find that White House are very collectable and that they have there own group of fans. I think that you could easily expect to get $20~$30 on ebay. What size is it, by the way?
You better watch out; this bottle finding and collecting thing can become quite addicting! If your willing to spend 20 minutes to liberate just one bottle you might already be hooked.
As far as cleaning. Try soaking it in dish soap & water for a few hours and then using a soft brush. This will remove most of the dirt. I only use warm water, not hot. Often bottles that have been in the ground for a while get a whitish film which is actually the glass itself changed color by a chenical reaction with the minerals in the soil (often referred to as sickness [X(] [:'(]). If this exsists you'll find it almost impossible to remove from the inside of the bottle unless you have it "tumbled". Maybe not a cost effective move for this particular bottle ($10~20). If the "sickness" is not too bad it might not effect the value of the bottle. You can sometimes get this type of stain off of the outside of the glass with some 000 steel wool and alot of elbow grease. I also find that a product known as "Bar Keepers Friend" can work very well. May I suggest going to the "Cleaning..." forum on this site and looking through past threads. There are ALOT of cleaning hints to be found there [;)].
I hope this is a help and that you will keep us informed as to your future bottle finds [8|]. Also, let us know how this great white House comes clean...

muddytonix

Reaction score
Thank yous so much glopf.
I will try to soak it some tonight and see how it comes out b4 bed.
I will go check out the cleaning part on this forum too.
I am so glad I found this bottle it made my day.
I will have to go see how big it is.
I am also trying to find out the date all I can see so far is 190?. I think after it is cleaned I will be ablet o see what year it is.
Thanks again,
Julia

madman

Reaction score
hello julia that bottle is a nice find!!! probably early 1900s good luck mike

bne74honda

Reaction score
Julia....and Gary,

With regard to cleaning, I suggest using water the same temperature as the bottle after it has been inside for an hour. I had a beautiful old ink crack while washing in slightly warm water. Apparently the glass can become quite sensitive after living in the ground for some years. There's nothing worse than cleaning that wonderful find only to suddenly hear a *snap* [&o] and look down at a 4 inch crack.[:(]

If you have trouble getting heavily soiled or rusty areas clean, try soaking it in an acid bath for a week or two. I've had great success with a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water, in a sealed PLASTIC bucket. Don't use metal and ALWAYS add acid to water...NEVER the other way around. Also....wear gloves and goggles. [X(]

My 2 pennies....for free!

Brian

diginit

Reaction score
If you're going to acid wash any bottles. Do some research! A 1 to 3 dillution of acid to water is strong enough to clean bottles and toilets. 50/50 is NOT advisable unless you are expreienced in handling chemicals and have facilities to do so. DO NOT inhale vapors from muraitc acid. Also,this acid and it's vapors desolve metals. It will also etch glass if contaminated or overused. So be careful.
My advise is to use "the barkeepers friend" or try listerine. Then windex inside and out.
Remember-ANY sudden temperature change can fracture glass. Wet or dry.

bne74honda

Reaction score
Thanks Diginit....

I guess I was just in too much of a hurry to get them suckers clean! First thing tomorrow I better do some acid bath revisions.

Thanks again......Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday