New York City vacation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

luckiest

Reaction score
Oh well, a personal difficulty prevents the trip, I will not be down there for some time now.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
sorry you couldnt make it.
i live in nyc.
twenty -something years now. digging for just a few.
its VERY hard to get permission to dig these back yards. you need to remember that space is tight here and the old parts where the privies would be are now 5 million dollar townhouses or apartments that are owned by a corporation. door knocking doesnt work as well here as i hear/see in other parts of the us. there are a couple of digging gods that live here, that did lot of digging in the 80's and 90's a lot of the homeowners in the prime parts of town have either been hit or are not amenible to getting their backyard dug up. its a little discouraging. but i keep at it.
some of the first digs i went on were with a seasoned vet of 20 years and it took TWO years of going back to the same house and asking over and over. sometimes they give in finally and thats when their neigbors lean over the fence and say "hey what you doing?" usually we get another permission or two when they see the artifacts. but for the most part its slim pickens unfortunately for me, that is.
Scott Jordan and Fireman Jack probably would have an easier time because jacks got the retired fireman thing going for him and Scott has the famous book writer thing.
http://www.newyorkartifactart.com/mybook.html
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/1-in-8-million/index.html#/jack_fortmeyer

pjritter

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: twowheelfan

sorry you couldnt make it.
i live in nyc.
twenty -something years now. digging for just a few.
its VERY hard to get permission to dig these back yards. you need to remember that space is tight here and the old parts where the privies would be are now 5 million dollar townhouses or apartments that are owned by a corporation. door knocking doesnt work as well here as i hear/see in other parts of the us. there are a couple of digging gods that live here, that did lot of digging in the 80's and 90's a lot of the homeowners in the prime parts of town have either been hit or are not amenible to getting their backyard dug up. its a little discouraging. but i keep at it.
some of the first digs i went on were with a seasoned vet of 20 years and it took TWO years of going back to the same house and asking over and over. sometimes they give in finally and thats when their neigbors lean over the fence and say "hey what you doing?" usually we get another permission or two when they see the artifacts. but for the most part its slim pickens unfortunately for me, that is.
Scott Jordan and Fireman Jack probably would have an easier time because jacks got the retired fireman thing going for him and Scott has the famous book writer thing.
http://www.newyorkartifactart.com/mybook.html
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/1-in-8-million/index.html#/jack_fortmeyer

or you could wait until the homeowner goes to work. A 10ft oval stoneliner filled with ash on Dean St shouldnt take that long.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
drop me a line when you wanna go! ten footer takes about 8 hours with 3-four guys. no sifting. but the neigbors! and you cant guarantee ash fill only.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
hey digger! did i do a philly double header with you a couple years ago? how you been? i enjoy the philly pics that have been posted here lately! you got it going on! it would be great to see you next time you come to town. drop me a pm when next time you head this way. I have some prospects here, but no ones giving the go yet. talk to you soon.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles