Newbie needs help with Pepsi Bottle Id

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

varanid

Reaction score
I am completely new to this, I walked around by a river until I found a pepsi bottle that looked like it might be old. I have not cleaned it very well yet. The bottle says Pepsi - Cola on one side, and just Pepsi on the other. Near the bottom of the bottle, it states "Dispose of Properly", the other side near the bottom says "No Refill". On the bottom of the bottle it has an I with a circle around it. Beside that is 141, other markings are AT 14 = 77. I assumed that the 77 was possibly the date meaning 1977. I know this bottle is after the 1950's because of the single dash in between pepsi and cola, but I have not been able to find any other info on this bottle. I know it is not a very old bottle and probably worth very little if anything but I am using it to teach me how to date these bottles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

varanid

Reaction score
blah, I was going to put a picture in but the pictures are too large in file size. I am kind of limited in time today, will try to post pictures tomorrow.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome, Varanid!
komo-2.jpg

..adding images will be second nature before you know it! [;)]

varanid

Reaction score
Believe it or not you are the only one who has ever gotten my user name. I have used it for years in many different places.

varanid

Reaction score
According to a little more research this bottle was made by Owings-Illinois Glass Company. And the fact that the I is inside the O means this was definitely after 1954. It was bottled in plant 14 which means it was bottled in Bridgeton, NJ. I am assuming that the 77 is the date which would be 1977 and a much later bottle than what I was hoping, but I had fun digging and researching it anyway.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Actually you misinterpreted the plant information. The 77 is most likely the date, and plant 14 is Bridgeton, NJ; however, the bottle wasn't bottled there, it was created there. The plant codes are for the bottle making plant, not the bottling plant. What you have is a 1977 No Deposit/No Return Pepsi bottle, and it's being old is relative. LOL!

varanid

Reaction score
I am just happy that I found something and was able to pretty much ID it. Other than the bottled in area, so that is where the bottle was made?

varanid

Reaction score
I knew it was not old, just using it to practice cleaning and researching the info so that when I do find something old I will have a little experience cleaning and ID'ing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete