newbie question - 'registered' bottles ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

green dragon

Reaction score
showing my newbie-ism but have a question I've not been able to find answer to .

on vintage ( pre-ACL embossed or slug plate ) bottles - I see many witht he ' registered' embossing.

there's no other noting of what the contents were, as a norm - so how do I know it;s a soda bottle, or an alcohol / beer bottle ?

I had thought if it had that 'registered' it was alcoholic, but see many offered as 'soda' that have it as well.

info , or links to info ?

thanks - you guys < and gals > have me learnin fast :)

~ AL

CreekWalker

Reaction score
With soda bottles marked registered by trademark the bottle is the property of the bottler, such as Coca-Cola. It was to be returned to the Coke company to be refilled and was not to be used by another bottler.

green dragon

Reaction score
what about slicks, with just " registered " ... possibly had paper labels ?

just wondering, but did note when cleaning a 1948 ACL Mas Root Beer I dug that is, indeed, has the registered.

one thing it made me curious as to , is, for example - slug plate bottle like my Grossmans - if the 'registered' let you know it was beer, or soda , or water.... any way to know that ? ( or do alcoholic bottles have to have that marked somehow ? )

still learnin...

~ AL

TJSJHART

Reaction score
OK OK i understand about the" registered" and "property of " on bottles ,,what got me was what is a " mas root beer bottle " or is this a typo?

green dragon

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: TJSJHART

OK OK i understand about the" registered" and "property of " on bottles ,,what got me was what is a " mas root beer bottle " or is this a typo?

That would be a typo .

Ma's Root Beer

good stuff :)

~ AL

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: madman

morb?????

Been asking this question myself for a while and still haven't seen a satisfactory answer. I don't believe it has anything to do with the individual bottler's trademark, because it shows up on non trademark bottles as well. I think it more likely that maybe it refers to the bottle design being registered in the patent office by the glass maker.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson