Nice Gift

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bombboy

Reaction score
Walked into work today and was told one of my co-workers was looking for me. Tracked him down after grabbing a coffee and he hands me a bottle. A Dr Evans Camomile Pills he found when he was a kid. It's in need of a good cleaning and has a small lip chip, but it's one hell of a nice way to start the week off.

7631D6A519DC40BDAAF86E3C895D46FF.jpg

Attachments

• 7631D6A519DC40BDAAF86E3C895D46FF.jpg
    7631D6A519DC40BDAAF86E3C895D46FF.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 62

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Mark,

What a wonderful gift! Is it pontiled? Surely looks off the crudeness chart. Could'ya take some more photos, maybe without the pink shag, please.

There was a previous discussion here: https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-35616/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#35618

U3F1DOSEZYSX.JPG

"Description

Spelling Error
“Camomileâ€, should be Chamomile.

“D. EVANS CAMOMILE PILLSâ€

PONTILED
America c.1840s

3 1/8 Tall, Aqua, open pontil square
with a nicely formed faired lip.

Condition: Nearly Perfect
Looks to ba a dug bottle, Not damaged, but hazy and needs a good cleaning.

History: DR. William Evens,was located on
Front St, NYC, NY
Est. $150-200
Est. $150 200" From this 2008 Bottle Auction.

There's another one offered, that claims it is British:
1234.jpg
"Dr EVANS PONTILED ENGLISH GLASS MEDICINE BOTTLE. Small square aqua colored bottle,very crude glass which is embossed,Dr EVANS CAMOMILE PILLS.Very crude pontil mark to base,very crude early looking bottle probably 1820 or earlyer.Hight 3 inches. [Condition: Near Mint]
Code: 1234Price: £110.00" From.

Dr. Evans seems to have been a prolific advertiser. "One of the Picayune's largest and most consistent advertisers, under the standing headline 'Important to the afflicted,' extolled the virtues of Dr. Evans' Camomile Pills. On February 15, 1838, the Picayune's news columns presented a mock testimonial, under the same arresting head, about a new 'universal pill' a 'grand, horizontal, double-cylinder, fluted, patent-ribbed, screw-barreled pill,' of which it said: 'One single pill worn in each pocket will instantly give ease and elasticity to the highest pantaloon... create an appetite in the most delicate stomach, or physic a horse.... [It] cures St. Anthony's fire, St Vitus dance, thrush in children, pip in hens, blind staggers in horses, and nightmares in owls.' A box of these pills would even 'cure the lethargy' of the Louisiana Legislature. This compares with the best in Mark Twain's earlier style." From.

There's a wonderful original full column ad headed "READ THE FOLLOWING INTERESTING ASTONISHING FACTS" taking up the entire right hand column of this issue of The Rochester Republican from 1837.

draft_lens5522222module42217222photo_1245870521chamomile_tea_pods.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
What a heckuva nice little oldie! Congrats!

bombboy

Reaction score
Thanks all, it's a sweet little bottle.

Surfaceone, it's the same as the one in the previous thread, even the bottom is the same, looks pontiled to me. The info you sent was quite informative, thanks for that. The guy that gave it to me used to go out many years ago with his Dad and metal detect, the kids would do the digging and finding. Great way to spend time with the family and learn some history. He told me he has had the bottle for over forty years and wanted me to have it.

It does have a small lip chip, but I dont mind, its the oldest bottle I have. And yes I'll take more pictures when I get back to town this weekend.

And no thats not shag carpet, just a macro shot of the bathroom floor rug hanging outside to dry. LOL.

Hadden

Reaction score
Hi Dude
That's a very exciting gift from a very good friend of yours. I hope you had a very good week went by.[:D

Personalised Cards

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl