nOObie

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

f1addict

Reaction score
A quick background. When I was young I spent my summers with my grandfather in the mountains. I met many people there, including a girl named Kimberly, who's grandparents owned the cafe at the lake where Grandpa and I spent most of our time. Kimberly and I had many adventures, one of them was to go to this old mine dump and dig for buried treasures. I remember finding all kinds of interesting stuff but mostly just rusted tin cans and odd iron pieces interspersed with large quantities of broken glass of all colors.

Flash forward 24 years. We have always kept in contact, first by mail, then by email and very recently by telephone. Three weeks ago she flew into town and we went to visit her grandparents (who live in my area and are now in their mid-90s), following that, we made the 7 hour drive back up to the lake where we spent our childhood.

During this trip, we decided to see if we could relocate the dump. I had looked for it in years past but had not been able to locate it again. Together, we managed to find it, untouched after all these years. There were still large masses of rusting metal with the occasional green, brown, clear, or cobalt glass shard here and there. Thinking like adults now (rather than teenagers) we thought that it might be a good idea to dig a little so we grabbed whatever we could find to scoop away the surface. What we found was amazing, bottles that were completely intact, many of them with dates. It was her understanding that the mine had been abandoned in 1908, however we found a Delaware Punch bottle with a date of March 24, 1921 so apparently the miners stayed in the area for some time after the mine closing. We did find numerous bottles with stampings from the late 19th century, which coincided with our recollection of the history of that area.

Our most amazing find was a liquor bottle of some kind, cap in place, and still containing a small amount of crystal clear liquid. We have no idea how to determine anything about the bottle. There are stampings on the bottom and while the cap is somewhat deteriorated, it appears to say "The Calyer Distilling Co." which I had no luck with on the internet. Any suggestions on what my next step should be?

We'll be revisiting the site in a couple weeks to see what else we can find. This time we'll be armed with more appropriate tools for the task.

Sorry my introduction was so long-winded.

f1addict

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Could it be Calvert?

Absolutely. "Calyer" to "Calvert" is a very short stretch. In fact, I just looked at it and "Calvert" seems a much more likely interpretation.

I will get pictures posted in the next couple days.

From what I can find on the internet, the bottle nearly matches Calvert's Reserve Blended Whiskey (One Pint), all the way down to the shape of the embossing on the face of our bottle exactly matching the shape of the paper lable on the one displayed on the internet. Only problem, our bottle is clear glass, not amber and the liquid inside is also clear, not amber.

We're really looking forward to going back. We found 15 or 20 bottles and jars in an area about 2' x 2' x 1' deep. I'm sure some of what we found was discard from early 20th century scavengers doing exactly what we were doing, looking for interesting things in the dump. We'll have a better idea of what it could possibly produce when we get a little deeper. Should be fun!

We'll keep you updated.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hooray, not bad for a beer drinker and not even as a chaser! KYB, know your boose, I say. I think they're still in business and welcome friend. Eric

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Oh man That sure is a great starting story. much better then mine wich envolves being 11 owning a bb gun and finding a few mason patent 1858 (full of liquid as well) probably mnoonshine and ss amber cokes in a old smoke shack near my house( i lived in georgia) at the time..boy if i could own all those bottles and take back all those bb's..... im glad you got to revisit something so close to your heart.and that there wasnt a parking lot where it used to be..i hopw to see you on here avidly bcause thats a great story and this my friend ...is a great site! happy digging Eric Jayy

f1addict

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help and encouragement. I'll get some pictures up this weekend which should make the process of identifying much easier. We'll be back up there the following weekend and hopefully we'll have something interesting to share. -Jeff

OH! One more thing. Should I wash the bottle? It's got a patina of equal parts rust and dirt but I don't know if it's proper to wash this off or just leave it.

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Washing it will not hurt the value so it comes down to .....do you want to wash Them? = ) ..thats all up to you..there is a cleaning and repairing section on the forumn you may find that helpful or some soap and a bucket = ) ..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL