Not sure if this bottle is an antique or not

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lucie813

Reaction score
Today in an antiques store that I periodically visit, I noticed a rounded amber bottle of average height labeled "Sweet Lucy" with "Homemade Peach Brandy" underneath that name. The only other thing on the label was "The Daniels Farm," "Est. 1888" and "White Street" centered across the bottom. The bottle still had a cork, but I could not tell if it was original. Somewhat curiously, or at least I thought, it had a couple of colors of what looked like strong sewing thread wrapped tightly around the cork and just below the opening, tied off at the bottom, but not in a bow. Another thing that interested me was the embossed letters around the rim, just under the opening - "HY," then a space, then "PRO." These appeared twice. It made me wonder if the contents were originally intended as something of a tonic - "HY" for "hygiene"? Or am I totally on the wrong track there? (It wouldn't surprise me if I was!)

I held the bottle up to the light and it did appear old to my untrained eye, but I could still not be sure - having a very untrained eye. It was priced at $14. I was tempted to get it, but did not want to until I knew whether it was really old. The label, by the way, although yellowed, was intact and fully legible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a clue!

jamus

Reaction score
Did the mold seam go over the lip? If the seam went over the lip the bottle was made after 1900. If it stopped short of the lip then it was made before 1910. If it had a screw-on top it was most likely made after 1920 with a few exceptions.

cc6pack

Reaction score
The hy pro bottle I think is something along the line of a clorox bottle probably a pint as you describe. They had a rubber stopper. If you look at the "embossing" you will note it is debossed, as though it was cut into the bottle. 1930's without seeing a pic of it. I can post a pic of one if you want to see if it's the same as the one you saw. My opinion it's not worth anywhere near $14.00. If you go back see if there's any thing marked om the bottom.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward