Odd Stone What's-It

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
You are completely safe getting that out of a yardsale box, unfortunately it lost its context a long time ago. Unless there was a slip of paper with info in the box or you trace something thru the seller which is doubtful its lost its provenance, definitely slate and a very nice yardsale treasure!

Owen

Reaction score
LisaTammy said:
.... but thousands of reproductions are out there.
That is sort of why I was not sure it was REAL native American...it sort of looked "Stone Tool" but since the thing measured out to modern measurements...I figured it was not. To be honest I was thinking it some kind of old worn out industrial electrical part.

Plumbata

Reaction score
I stand corrected, gorgets have 2 or more holes. Anyway, the piece looks legit to me. It's hard to replicate the crude drilling patterns without using stone age technology, and although some unscrupulous types do make some convincing fakes, I doubt they would make their way into a box of old random knickknacks. Probably a random surface find from many years ago rather than something purchased. The perceived "regular" dimensions are likely just coincidental, and if it were part of an old electric apparatus the only thing it resembles to me is an old carbon/graphite bushing, which it is not. I vote 100% original and ancient.

LisaTammy

Reaction score
The drill marks look exactly right to me too. Notice how the hole tapers the further it goes in? VERY VERY nice find.

Owen

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info, & opinions!!!!! Guess I did good.

Plumbata

Reaction score
No idea Mike, I'm no expert. Something to keep in mind, for example, is that points of a hypothetical particular style found in stone are usually perceived as ancient, while points of the same style which have been made from appropriated insulator glass or the bases of thick bottles are obviously post-contact and more recent. With slate items like this, I wouldn't be surprised if a pendant made in 200 BC would be morphologically interchangeable with one made in AD 1800. Likewise, points or bangles made from copper trade kettles might in some cases be hard to differentiate from ancient ones made from native copper nuggets.

2find4me

Reaction score
Radioactive Dating may help to determine age... [:D]

stumpknocker

Reaction score
I would agree most likely a pendant from the Mississippian time period.
Here is one from North Florida made a sandstone.

Attachments

• 511244dd04f94a1b854c1f69e2421589.jpg
    511244dd04f94a1b854c1f69e2421589.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 79

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I think the stones were used to sharpen scythe blades. They had a leather strap on them that the mower would carry them with him. They could also be for use sharpening a corn stalk cutter sickle.RED M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1