old buckets lead to small older dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I wouldn’t give up on that site and would take a look. Here in CT - that surface looks a lot like a typical farm dump we would find here. Those galvanized buckets on the surface are always worth investigating

i'll definitely go back , part of the problem has been the weather here in april has been unreliable , when I was there on Monday was nice and all the snow gone but last 2 days have been more like winter and ground snow covered again

it looks like some dumping has occurred in the area , perhaps not the main dump but some stuff was left there years ago

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah, these buckets are what I always look for when I search for new bottle dumps. Found many great bottles in dumps that look like yours.

the site is worthy of further exploration but its impossible to predict what might be there if anything , most of the items so far have been broken , I'd love to find an interesting local item like a druggist bottle but older dumps here don't often yield much when compared to more build up areas near major cities

this was a rural area with few people back then but saw a seasonal increase during the summer when city folk came up to the lakes

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I find the stuff on top gets broken i would guess by kids you know working on their aim. Expensive target. I remember breaking ebery bottle me and my brothers found in the woods. It is crazy when i think about it now. It was the thick old bottles that were a challange to hit hard enough to bust. I don't remember ever digging for more. I would say there has to be more just below the surface.

RCO

Reaction score
I find the stuff on top gets broken i would guess by kids you know working on their aim. Expensive target. I remember breaking ebery bottle me and my brothers found in the woods. It is crazy when i think about it now. It was the thick old bottles that were a challange to hit hard enough to bust. I don't remember ever digging for more. I would say there has to be more just below the surface.

I'm sure there is other items in the general area , for sure more broken stuff . I did find 1 small unbroken bottle when digging deeper in the area of 2nd picture . but it was of no value and had no writing on it

need to wait a day or 2 for weather to improve , been too cold and ground is hard from winter like weather but is going to improve in the coming week

i'll post an update and more pictures when I return to this site

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,

Yeah, definitely kids broke some. When my dad's was younger he remembers his friend breaking bottles at a dump (1850s-1920s era) he showed me and found. He said he remembers his friend breaking a plantation bitters after he saw the the many pieces we uncovered there XD. Back then kids didn't know that they were breaking valuable bottles, it was just junk to them.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
the site is worthy of further exploration but its impossible to predict what might be there if anything , most of the items so far have been broken , I'd love to find an interesting local item like a druggist bottle but older dumps here don't often yield much when compared to more build up areas near major cities

this was a rural area with few people back then but saw a seasonal increase during the summer when city folk came up to the lakes
I mostly dig in rural areas and have luck, but I guess it depends on what that area was like and how close the cities were. I had a dump where 98% of everything was broken due to rocks and kids back in the 1970s. I still dug because there were shards of plantation bitters, pontils, Warners, etc. I finally pulled out an open pontil bottle that had somehow survived. I say that if there is older stuff then you are usually digging, even if it seems all broken, its worth investigating further! Who knows if there is an old pocket of stuff somewhere that wasn't pummeled.

RCO

Reaction score
made a quick visit to the site , didn't really find much , you can see from the pictures how rugged this location is , its near a road but is heavily wooded and a very large swamp area .

20200424_162741.jpg
20200424_162745.jpg
20200424_162844.jpg
20200424_163007.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
didn't really find any bottles , searched around and didn't find any new areas , was a couple buckets and metal things I hadn't noticed before .

I'm not sure what this metal piece was but was so heavy or so stuck in the ground it wouldn't even move

20200424_163258.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
you can't really see them in my picture from the other day but I mentioned I found a couple small unbroken bottles , there in the far left of the picture of all the broken junk I found but barely visible , I cleaned them yesterday

just a small clear jar and a small flavouring extract type bottle , none have any markings , the small corked bottle was about 4 or 5 inches down when I found it that day , sort of excited at time until I saw it had no markings

20200426_095509.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1