old buckets lead to small older dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
the other day I found some old buckets dumped near the edge of a large swamp which is located across the street from an older lakefront property which has been there for a long time , not exactly a hotel but sort of a summer house type place .

I've never dug in this area but always kind of wondered if maybe there might be bottles in the general area .

the site is located along the roadway , small maybe 20 foot strip of trees and dry land , then wet swampy area which goes on for a long way . if they dumped stuff in the swamp area no way I'm finding anything unless there is a drought

I counted maybe 10 buckets , all metal of various sizes and such , appear to have been left there at some point , whatever they were getting rid of back then , they didn't want the buckets back

20200420_151640.jpg
20200420_151655.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
at first I didn't think there was any bottles dumped near the buckets but when I went back and looked around a second time I started to noticed some broken glass and dug up the area a bit and found some older looked broken pieces , some of which appear to be very old

20200420_152230.jpg
20200420_152256.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
due to the public nature of the site and such I decided it be easier to sort thru everything at home so I threw everything I found in my bag and sorted it in the garage

it was also very hard to dig there for some reason , ground tough and some small evergreen trees had grown around the dumping

pretty much everything was broken with exception of a couple really small bottles and the ketchups .

lots of ketchups , some jars , various broken bottles which could of been for liquor or pop , also some broken china , pottery type items

also some metal items such as nails , a file , door hinge

20200421_150216.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I was able to ID one of the broken shards to a local bottler which isn't really a surprise as they were pretty much the only bottler in this area

this tiny piece is part of a 30 oz JD Brown Spring Water bottle , which was a popular product here as lakes were polluted from logging and tannery operations in the early 1900's

I don't have one but have found it swimming before , not sure how late they used it but maybe until the 30's or 40's

you can clearly read " SPRI and a J " which matches up to the JD Brown bottle where it says " spring water , JD Brown , and Gravenhurst Ontario "
DSC02669.JPG
brownsspringwaterPC1.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
Nice bottles

I didn't find anything too exciting yet , as bottle collecting has been popular for a long time and site located close to a road , kind of wondering if its been dug up before or at least picked thru .

its also possible more stuff was dumped in the swamp itself where it be way too wet to ever recover but i'll need to explore the site more to figure it out

yacorie

Reaction score
I wouldn’t give up on that site and would take a look. Here in CT - that surface looks a lot like a typical farm dump we would find here. Those galvanized buckets on the surface are always worth investigating

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I totally agree with Yacori. I know that where there's smoke...there is usually fire! Can you even get a probe in the ground? In the edge of the swamp? Just to feel around for any glass. Can you get a kayak? I might think a kayak, a probe and a post hole digger or cultivator you might be able to bring something up.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
I wouldn’t give up on that site and would take a look. Here in CT - that surface looks a lot like a typical farm dump we would find here. Those galvanized buckets on the surface are always worth investigating
Yeah, these buckets are what I always look for when I search for new bottle dumps. Found many great bottles in dumps that look like yours.

RCO

Reaction score
I totally agree with Yacori. I know that where there's smoke...there is usually fire! Can you even get a probe in the ground? In the edge of the swamp? Just to feel around for any glass. Can you get a kayak? I might think a kayak, a probe and a post hole digger or cultivator you might be able to bring something up.

you can poke around the edge of the swamp, i'll try and take some more pictures when I go back so people get a better idea what is there .

you couldn't get a kayak in , its watery but many trees and such , no way to move around safely

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis