Old foundation in the woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

varanid

Reaction score
I went down to an old creek, walking some trails. I found a foundation made of brick, not sure what this foundation was to. I only found 2 footings. They were made of brick, I looked around for the rest of the foundation and could not find it. I did however find a couple of mounds, about 2 foot high with old brick shards and old bits of coal in it. There were so many leaves out there I never would have found this foundation except I stumped my toe on it. There are also several square indentions with really soft soil in it. So I will be going back here very soon and spend a day exploring. Looks promising to me. I looked for bottles and shards of glass, found some bottles closer to the road form the 70's. Did not find anything else but I was kind of rushed for time. I will keep you guys updated on what I find and more detail when I go back. I am not sure of the age of this place, the brick foundation kind of has me concerned that this may not be very old, all of the really old foundations I have seen in this area were made of stone. I am planning on doing a bit of coin shooting and poking around for old bottles next time I go, and maybe bring a fishing rod and make a day out of it. This is also less than a mile from a railroad bed, the railroad ran through here in the 1860's so this house could be from that era.

swizzle

Reaction score
Despite the brick being there the place could still have some age. If its old enough to have a privy or 3 then the foundation could be from a newer house built on an older property. Some homesteads were built without a cellar. Over time the wood rots and a new house is placed on the old foundation or there abouts. If you can take some pics that might help out a bit more. Definitely keep us posted. Swiz

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
In regards to the mounds, coal chunks were used in coal ovens and furnaces used to heat homes from around 1880-1930 in general. Usually, bottles are tossed in the coal debris. Let us know what you find.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin