old foundation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digginfool

Reaction score
I came across this old foundation in western Massachusetts next to a river that constantly floods. It consists of two exposed walls, each about 15' long, that form a 90 degree angle. I started digging right in the inside corner and immediately started finding pieces of red and green glass-probably not that old. But when i got about 3' deep, I hit a layer of ash, and A LOT of melted glass. My hole is only 3X3X3-1/2'.
Any suggestions????
I'll dig more tomorrow, Maybe a hole on the outside will have NON-MELTED glass.

Qo38783.jpg

Attachments

• Qo38783.jpg
    Qo38783.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 88

cb0023

Reaction score
hi diggin fool. i am down here in pennsylvania and i could show you the exact same pic from along a creek here. the foundation i came accross has a lot of "brothers". at least 4 or 5. however its so overgrown adn thick thats its hard to determine where anything might have been. i have found 2 retangular holes. 1 is filled with broken glass the other just garbage. i am gonna have to dig those deeper one day... take a walk around and just hit the ground with the probe or a walking stick. i have found other foundations under about 6 inches of dirt that i might have never know were there. they might help you determine the logistics of the area. look for a dump along the river bank too. let us know if you find anything

Ge95602.jpg

Attachments

• Ge95602.jpg
    Ge95602.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 87

cb0023

Reaction score
another pic of the area

Pn36711.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36711.jpg
    Pn36711.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 91

digginfool

Reaction score
hey cb0023, you've got some diggin to do!! I'd concentrate on the fieldstone foundation rather than the concrete one. What am I looking for by hitting a walking stick on the ground? A hollow sound maybe? Never tried it but I will.
I woke up with the flu this morning. I wanted to die, but couldn't call in sick to work, because I'd have to sneak by all my co-workers on the way to the dig site.[;)]
I started digging some more inside the foundation, but was slowed down by about 500 metal springs.(mattress?) That did not help AT ALL!!! I could have filled a 5 gallon pail with the broken glass i found. But right at the end of the day about 3 inches deep (in the frost!!!) I did find one bottle. It's from the 50's (if I'm lucky) but dammit, It's intact and it's not melted!!!!
I did walk the river bed like you suggested and found an old tractor half exposed in the silt. I'll poke around a little there when it stops snowing.
"HOLYOKE BOTTLE WORKS" (dig site is in holyoke, ma so it a local bottle)

Om34353.jpg

Attachments

• Om34353.jpg
    Om34353.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 82

woody

Reaction score
Wow, that's cool.
I grew up in South Hadley, Mass. and graduated from South Hadley High class of 1973.
My father was stationed at Westover AFB and retired from the Air Force in 1969 with 22 years of active duty.
I took drum lessons at Jerry's Music store in Holyoke in the 1960's.
It looks to be like a soda bottle from the 1940-1950 era.
Keep looking. The area is old enough to produce good bottles.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause