old milk bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wootten

Reaction score
Hey is an overview pix of what I found-I have eight in all-I will describe them if anyone wants the info-they seem really cool and in excellent condition. wendy

Db84457.jpg

Attachments

• Db84457.jpg
    Db84457.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 75

wootten

Reaction score
I would love to get a thread going about old milk bottles-I know that the members here are very well versed in all bottles found in and around the US-I hope that we can get something going-I am not sure this is the forum-for milk bottles-but hey it is worth a try-talk at ya all later happy looking-wendy

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey Wendy. I just found a couple of 1/2 pint creams in the dump I'm digging. They certainly seem to be made of some high quality glass! The one here (see photo) has the very slightest purple cast to it. It is embossed with "Biltmore" in a nice script. I know there are some that think that any bottle that dates after 1900 or even 1870 is "junk". But we must remember that the people that droped THOSE bottles down a stinking #%&@ hole must not have thought very highly of them at the time...So all you ACL, Milk, and ABM collectors don't get discouraged. 150 years from now that "junk" just might be treasured. Pontil or not!

Db84082.jpg

Attachments

• Db84082.jpg
    Db84082.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 84

David E

Reaction score
The decanter pattern is called diamond point, however that is the name for a pattern glass and yours' does not look old enough for that. Also most pattern Glass stopers would have been ground.
I sure would like to see more milk bottles also, with embosing's must have been a lot made, The one showing looks more pink than purple and you would think the pink (If they ever made one) would make bucks. But guess yours is "Sunglass" and the small dimple in the base tells you it is made by a semi automic machine (Used in 1890's as well as 1900's) on wide mouth jars, but you already knew that, so I shut up now.

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey David. Great information! Actuallty I am not a milk bottle collector, per se. Well, the two 1/2 pints were the first ones I have dug-up so, I guess I am now! The pic I posted of the bottle does make it look a bit pinkish does't it. I'm pretty new to bottle collecting. I am not very familier with the term "Sunglass"; a little help on what exactly this means would be nice (somthing to do with the sun changing the color of the glass?), and the info on the semi-automatic machines was rather enlighting. THANKS...

madman

Reaction score
hey wendy sorry i missed this, your bottles are nice , were they dug?? lets keep this thang goin!! mike

Wt59240.jpg

madman

Reaction score
hey wooten i like those quarts,especially the old ones on the right mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4