Old trash hole find no embossing but some of the label still on it

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I dug one bottle out of the ground up here in Michigan, a bottle from about 1910-1920 that had a partial label left albeit it was only a few inches down-- Banamyl. A very rare paper-label was dug intact on a competitor's bottle here. I saw it and held it-- it was a century old. I've dug 1940s bottles with partial labels. From a privy uncovered by construction, I found a shattered bottle with label still partially legible-- it was pre-WW1.Essentially, labels on bottles can be dug in many climates. Constantly saturated soil marks Michigan, a former fruitopia and still-buzzing farmland where development does't destroy and trees don't stand, other than where the sands that slowly consume everything in their path creep toward the Lake.Some people dig up old newspapers from privies and trash-pits- headlines albeit trying to read them crumbles them-- still legible. Dumps buried with dirt will keep things looking like they did when they went in. Sealed off, the items are protected over the centuries. The issue is... the label may disintegrate. I'd keep a close eye on that one. I believe, though, that this label has all but become part of the glass-- and so it should be alright. In any event, the amount of surviving label is amazing. And it looks pretty good, too. So congrats on this wonderful discovery.

mikeya

Reaction score
Thanks Bear. Is there any such thing as a dry hole? A friend told me he dug one no water had gotten to every thing he pulled out still had the labels on them he said.

2find4me

Reaction score
Sweet find with label, that lady looks a bit creepy.

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I would immediately spray the label with a clear acrylic. Otherwise it will flake off and fly away.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
What happens 30 years from now to the label sprayed with a chemical sealant? I don't trust spraying anything on paper if I want it to last forever. Humidity, acidity level, chemical composition of chemicals and paper itself-- bad on paper and pigments. Research would tell us more. In book restoration, a huge plague for leather-bound volumes is Red Rot. Spraying it with a couple things will slow it, but in the end it will often lead to total destruction of the leather's integrity in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26