Order your probes now!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jaken

Reaction score
Get them while the weather is cold.....I can't get my spring steel in the summer...too many snakes, skeeters and briars for me to be fighting. Take a look at my website @ http://www.varelichunter.com and scroll down to the "spring steel" page. They are all welded quality spring steel and will get the job done for years.

lexdigger

Reaction score
I was all in till I got to the length. I have to have at least six feet to find any privies around here. Especially on construction sites where you might have to probe through overburden. If I ever need a good shorty though I'll know where to get one!!! I get four foot probes from the water co. and have a machinist put a hollow handle and tip on it for me... Chris Capley

dirtflicker

Reaction score
I bought one of your spring steel probes a couple of years ago and it works great for finding privies and hidden bottle dumps!!! JAKEN get an A+ from me!

Dirt

jaken

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and........

I used to make 5,6 and 7' probes by welding spring steel together. It turned out to be way too much labor for the price I felt comfortable charging. But the main reason I stopped was a matter of quality.....you weld two pieces of spring steel together, the joint isn't "spring tempered" and will bend at that point and eventually will break. There is NO way around that without a VERY expensive oven for re-tempering the steel. I simply didn't want to make something for folks that would not meet their expectations.

I have looked high and low and can't find steel longer than about 4 feet. Had one fellow that worked at a steel mill that said he would bring me some but that never materialized. Spring steel is getting scarce as hen teeth, even in the shorter lengths.

lexdigger

Reaction score
Too bad you're not in Kentucky! I have a friend who works at a factory in Springfield. They make automotive parts for Toyota. I'm not sure exactly what they use it for, but he can get all the six foot sections of it that you want. For whatever reason they end up with alot of pieces that size that go to scrap. It's 3/8ths inches thick and ready to go. All you have to do is put on the handle and tip and you're in buisness. I've got several six foot sections out in the garage waiting to be used and he can get all I want. I don't blame you for not wanting to join two pieces together. It doesn't seem like that would last very long??? Chris Capley

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks