other than tumblers?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

getaricerocket

Reaction score
is there any other way to cure "sick" bottles than to spend an extravagant amount of money bothering with tumbling?

-brendan

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
15 to 20 dollars a bottle plus shipping both ways is not much if the bottle is a good one
www.bottletumbling.com

rick

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
to remove the sickness,you auctually have to cut a thin "very thinn" layer of glass to remove bad sickness,sometimes it takes 3 or 4 weeks on slow mode to do this then you have to polish...

im gonna post a question concerning cleaning.....

atticmint

Reaction score
I found this acid jell once that was something like 20% hydrofluoric, worked great on some bottles. Its always a crap shoot this way [:'(]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hello atticmint, welcome to the forum![:D] I would just like to add my 2 cents worth on Hydrofluric acid. This stuff can kill you a little bit more than dead. Even at 20%, you better know what you're doin. It is nothing I would screw around with, but that's just my humble opinion. Our friends in the UK use acid dipping with good results, but they will tell you to send it to someone who is highly trained. Happy Diggin, Kelley

atticmint

Reaction score
Sorry about that....I should mention I was using full chemical splash protection, including a respirator. I work as a chem tech.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Well if my tumbler ever goes on the blink, and I want to see how good an acid dip works, I now know a chemist to get in touch with![:D] I just don't want to see anyone accidently get hurt do to lack of knowledge. When I was 17, I worked for a drilling mud co. and I was told one Saturday to go unload a boxcar of Formaldehyde. (1000 fifty # bags.) Nobody told me to use a respirator, or even a paint mask. Lack of knowledge messed me up bad for awhile.[:'(] Happy Diggin, Kelley

atticmint

Reaction score
ahhhg Formaldehyde. Bad shit. See it all the time with little critters in it. I hate dumping them out [:'(] We usually do it under air, since there really is no respirator worth using.
As for the acid, its really hard to get the right strength, plus factor in the age, and the chemicals the bottle was made with at the time, everyone will react differently.
I will post some before and after pics if I can find them.

atticmint

Reaction score
Here are two bottles I experimented with a while ago. Both were dipped into hydroflouric acid for the same amount of time. Both had very bad ground stain.
As you can hopefully see in the pic, the Canadian medicine bottle turned out perfect, didnt even break any of the long neck bubbles.....but the Minard's bottle frosted up worse than it was before I dipped it.
Its a chemical crap shoot. [8|]

Zx72027.jpg

Attachments

• Zx72027.jpg
    Zx72027.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 82

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member