other than tumblers?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
You know, it can be a crap shoot tumbling them as well. I have had trouble with some of my aquas coming out frosty, or hazy. Some turn out great. I've tried more water, less oxide, more copper, less copper, ect.ect. That's one reason I don't usually tumble for other people. That and the fact that it's a whole lot of trouble for the going rate you get paid. Kelley

atticmint

Reaction score
Hi Kelly, I have a friend with a tumbler (thats not set up now because he has moved) and I never talked about polishing compounds with him, but when you said copper you reminded me of something. I found 3 small bags of old copper powder a long time ago and stashed them away. Would this work in his tumbler? Its a very fine power/dust.

Yw68501.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68501.jpg
    Yw68501.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 89

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
No Atticmint that won't work. The copper used in tumbling isn't the polishing agent itself. It is a soft medium used to push the polishing (or cutting) oxide up against the glass. The copper needs to be in solid form. Usually 12 gauge wire cut into 1/16" - 1/8" long pieces. Kelley

atticmint

Reaction score
Heh... I better do some reading up. I have never seen a tumbler in action, cant wait till my friend gets his up and running. [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter