Our Local Talent

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cadburys

Reaction score
Yikes!

...YES Sandy soil is very dangerous. Peoria, Illinois is well known by local diggers for having dangerous pits, many will stop at 6 ft (even if the pit is 8 ft) because collapses are very common. I know of several diggers who nearly met their maker while digging deeper.

Ant

tigue710

Reaction score
I had to dig a deep sand pit I would shore up the walls... The only place I've dug privys in sandy soil they were no more then five feet...

Jim

Reaction score
I guess our good old rock-hard Pennsylvania soil is good for something after all. I have never been in any pits where the danger of a collapse concerned me. Of course, I'm always keeping an eye on things just to be safe, but the ground here is very solid. I don't think I would like digging a pit in loose, sandy soil. ~Jim

Btl_Dvr

Reaction score
I heard on the radio this AM that the digger is ok and was released from the hosipital. He said he found a bottle worth $2000. Hmmmmm????? Not saying he didn't but...
Jay

wilmingtonbottleboys

Reaction score
I have spoken to my buddy that was digging with these guys and they a great digging day considering the collapse. They recovered numerous local meds, civil war era bottles, and a large usa hospital bottle in honey amber.

tftfan

Reaction score
yup, the sand is not good !! hard to dig with one eye up and the other down. had a wall cover my leggs at about 5 ft. The longer the hole is open, it starts to dry and fall in. Ya dont wanna dig alone.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter