Outta my range for sure = BIG bucks!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kastoo

Reaction score
Two things...

One - Flasch....you dig some hi powered bottles...I'm sure you'll dig one and make enough for this book...

Second - I feel ya....I don't want to pay dam near 50 bucks for the GA Crown top books..even though I need it.

bobclay

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, as we can see, the book closed at $575, the highest I've ever seen one of these sell for. Normally, they sell for $200-$250.

I can understand everyone's perspective on this...whether or not it is "worth" that amount or not. As with jars, bottles or anything else, "worth" is defined by the individual. Some people want to know every little detail they can about their hobby. This books give more history of any jar than any other book ever printed. Who made it, when, where, patent drawings and research, etc. To some folks, that knowledge is as important, if not more important than the jar itself. To others, it is merely a book. To some, it is a collectible itself because of the limited supply and increasing demand. Even a reprinting will not diminish the value of these (first printings) a whole lot, I only expect them to become more valuable as time goes on.

Bob

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
We didn't start collecting fruit jars until well after the termites did their damage - too busy raising kids & the like. We did manage to track down Dick Roller in the mid-1990's, and let him know of our interest the the Reference. Shortly thereafter, Dick reprinted maybe 60 or so (?) copies & we were able to obtain one of those. Even though it is not an original, is unsigned, and in looseleaf format, I'll not be parting with it anytime soon. Also, it is NOT a price guide - keep your Redbook for that.
If you are interested in fruit jar history but the Reference is not available (or not in the budget), the Fruit Jar Works (2 volumes) by Alice Creswick comes in an almost respectable second place. It can be pretty hard to find as well, but it was reprinted in 1995 by Doug Leybourne. Should be a little easier on the pocketbook too. -Tammy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776