Owens Machine Opreation

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi cowseatmaize; I think that he took that bottle off the conveyor and sat it on the floor. This was a common practice with machine made bottles. They did this to see if the stresses in the glass, were not too excessive to survive after annealing. It would tell the machine operator if he needed to change the temperature of the glass being lifted out of the molten forehearth. The same practice was done on almost all ABM products. RED Matthews.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To kwalker; Regarding that short showing of the mouth blown beer bottle - take notice of the burst off of the blowpipe. The blower then broke that partial bubble of glass off his blowpipe ready for the next use.
RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi Red, I was referring to a point on the Utube documentary link at about half way. If you look closely there is a small segment where a hand blower puts a gob in a mold and twists it off. The assistant takes it out and it looks like he puts it in a tub filled with water and steam comes out. The blower cleans the pipe off in the same tub.
It's only about 10 seconds of the video.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The quality control monkey-child looked at the bottle and saw it was junk (one all of us would like to have).
Looks like he chucked it in the water vat to break it up. They likely used all that scrap glass as flux to melt down thier next batch of sand.
Just my guess...

kwalker

Reaction score
Yeah Red I noticed that and was wondering what he was doing exactly. These guys kept up pretty quick for two guys working with hot glass

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minor 7202