Pair of Milky Hemi No 9's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
Also found this nice pair of milky Hemingray No. 9's. Nice addition to my small pony collection. It's fun when you buy a mess of dirty insulators, clean them, and find stuff like this. Pretty neat swirl patterns. Not the best picture, but shows the milk fairly well.

37313397FDB04B26B12596CB4D3AFFB5.jpg

Attachments

• 37313397FDB04B26B12596CB4D3AFFB5.jpg
    37313397FDB04B26B12596CB4D3AFFB5.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 88

BillinMo

Reaction score
Very cool! It's always fun to see what's hiding under that soot, especially when it's a pleasant surprise like this!

idigjars

Reaction score
Very cool. I collected hemi 9's for awhile. You can really get some cool examples modestly priced.

Congrats on your hemi's. Paul :)

Bixel

Reaction score
Always cool to see the milky Hemi 9s.

For some reason, a lot of the milky and junky Hemingray stuff seemed to be used up here in Canada. You still see them pop up here and there at auctions, flea markets, etc.

Good find!

sparrow75

Reaction score
Huh, wonder why that is? I'm starting to like the insulators with amber/milk/bubbles, etc. Think I'll try to pick these types up. I've also have 2 very fizzy HGCO CD 133 [070] i picked up in this collection. Obviously the Price Guide doesn't have prices for insulators with junk, so how do you suggest going about figuring out how various junk increases the value? Seems like amber and milk appear to increase the value more than other stuff. I guess just look on line at things that have sold and go to shows.

botlguy

Reaction score
The value of "Junk" is subjective or as they say:"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It's value is determined soley by two people negotiating together over the same object. Anything else is just an opinion. And we all have one, Right?[;)]

Bixel

Reaction score
Gotta go with Jim here, it is super hard to say how much "junk" in glass causes the value of an insulator to go up. It really depends on a number of things.

As far as the reason we seem to find so much junky glass up here in Canada, it is thought that both Brookfield and Hemingray sent their "seconds" up here a lot of times, and I can believe it. Ambered up Brookfield 102s and B 145s are pretty much common occurances here.

BillinMo

Reaction score
I've heard that "seconds" theory before, too. It's easy to imagine they assumed the customer wouldn't want to go through the hassle of refusing a shipment and dealing with customs a second time. That scenario would have given Diamond/Dominion a great marketing angle. I have to wonder, though, since there is still plenty of junky-milky stuff in the States.

Pricing that stuff is tough because there are so many variables. Generally, the more dramatic the swirls/junk/bubbles, the higher the price, but everyone has a different opinion as to what's got that "wow" factor. A couple amber swirls... ho hum, especially if it's a later Brookfield. Lots of amber squiggles and a huge bubble that looks like a profile of Elvis? Get out the checkbook!

A good junky piece in an auction catalog with at least two deep-pocket collectors in a bidding war can realize a price that's (IMO) insane. I've seen many people attempt to sell an similar piece for a set price near the auction value, but in my experience I've never seen that approach succeed. Maybe it has in some cases and I just don't know about it.

I know a bunch of "junky glass" collectors and so I typically ask them for opinions and see if there's a consensus.

sparrow75

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, helps. My first experience selling a "junky" piece was a common cd 126 Brookfield that books for 1-2$. It had a good amount of amber swirling, and when the auction ended, it sold for $22. So that's around 10x the book price because of the amber. Know that I'm more into insulators than I was at the time I sold that piece, I kind of wish I hadn't. Oh well, I'll find one I like one day.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583