PART OF MY JOB

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lepew62

Reaction score
I work at a local refinery with a subcontractor. I perform industrial cleaning services such as, high pressure water cleaning and super sucker vac trucks. One of the pressure wash jobs we perform involve reactor towers. Most of the reactor towers are warm year round. This being the case guess where the birds hang out all winter long. Birds being birds they do what birds do and poop all over every thing. So every spring someone has to climb the towers and power wash the bird poop off. If we do not do this then the union contractors will not work on them. It is a heck of a place to be for someone that is afraid of heights. I guess there is something to be said for aversion therapy. I am now able to tolerate heights, just not my favorite place to be. This tower is the tallest one in the refinery, I am guessing 130ish ft or so. This picture is not the very top, about 30' feet short of the top. I have a cpl smaller towers to do Monday, they may top out around 80 - 90'. I thought I would share one of the more glamorous aspects of my job. In other news there has been some serious rain and snow melt in my area. The local rivers all received a real good flushing. I have been unable to sleep thinking about all the treasures that have been washed out. I am thinking about tromping through the woods this weekend. A little early for mushrooms, but I might come across something else that is interesting. The rivers will dry up starting May or June. That has been the pattern for the last few years anyhow. I will get back to you all at another time, have a great one bottle people.

A0FD82A2C1894493A00C2DA39D7DF0BF.jpg

Attachments

• A0FD82A2C1894493A00C2DA39D7DF0BF.jpg
    A0FD82A2C1894493A00C2DA39D7DF0BF.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 79

lepew62

Reaction score
Not clipped on, about a 3 ft railing surrounds the cat walk. Yes it does get breezy up there, sometimes more so than I like. That is water in the distance, just a refinery pond though. I did finish up the 90 ft one today, tomorrow I have a couple smaller ones, 60 to 70 ft maybe. This refinery has been in operation since 1880ish, think of all the stuff buried around there. I am sure some of it is very toxic. There is a small stream across the road, it is posted no swimming or fishing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR