Paterson bottles from auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Yesterday I atteneded an auction about 50 miles from home because they had pictured alot of bottles and I needed a day off so, up Rt. 80 I went, when I arrived I found 4 from Paterson and I needed 3 so that made me happy. Sadly the auctioneer had grouped them into box lots and the first 2 were in lot #11 and the last two were in lot #482 which meant 5-6 hours of my time but I figured what the hell. In the first lot of sodas and beers the auctioneer had included one fruit jar which I found odd, I figured someone here might want it if I won the lot of about 12 bottles so no biggie, I was prepared to go to $60 and thought I could sell whatever other bottles were in the box and not have to pay too much for the two Paterson bottles.

I was out at $65 and the lot sold for $75 and I was a bit mad at myself for not increasing my bid since I could resell what I didn't want but I was gun shy. After the bottle lots ended at lot #20 or so I realized the same bidder number had won them all, so I went outside to talk to the high bidder and it turned out he's into jars and told me the first lot I liked had a $400 fruit jar and that lot would have really gone pretty high, I inquired about the two Paterson bottles and he asked me if I was a member here. I told him yes and he let me know he frequents the site and knew who I was because of my constant Paterson posts and that he was a Jar collector who comes here alot but doesn't do much posting but he knew the "epackage" name..... Long story short he sold me both of the Paterson bottles I needed for a SUPER FAIR price which was good for both of us, it got me 2 bottles I needed and offset his costs on the lot and it was great meeting a fellow ABN'er and just a hell of a nice guy. I guess all my dopey Paterson posts have finally paid off, here are the two bottles he sold me....

088.jpg

As we chatted another collector of local bottles who I had never met before came up to us and started chatting so I let them talk about some bottles he was interested in and went back to my van to deposit my bottles (No deposit No return, right ?????"

When the other gentleman came inside I started to talk to him and he let me know he was from my area and was looking at the reamaining lots that were to come in 4-5 hours or so and we talked about a few collectors we both knew and the fact he has been a guest at soem of our clubs bottles meetings but hadn't joined the club. When it was time for lot #482 and the last Paterson bottle I was interested in I approached him with this idea, I told him I wouldn't bid against him on the lot thus keeping the price down if he would sell me the Paterson bottle I wanted and he was in full agreement. The lot sold to him for $40 and I went back and picked up my Super Rare and undocumented at Sodasandbeers.com Thomas Hood blob with big beautiful bubbles and crude slugplate. The kamerling I got from the first buyer also wasn't on Tod's great site so I have some paperwork to do so he can post them there. Here is the HOOD bottle....

089.jpg

090.jpg

At this point I was wiped and elated at the minimal cost and no fee bottles I had added and took one final look around, and then I saw this huge olive jar with most of it's labels and when I turned it upside down I noticed it had a patent date of Feb. 23 1909 on the bottom and figured I would stick around and maybe bid and look to resell it if I got it at a good price and if not I'll add it to my huge bottle group (Amber Demijohn and Big Blue)....here it is uncleaned next to the blob for effect and size comparison....You would need some long tongs to get to the Olives of this 15" beauty....

079.jpg

and she cleaned up really nice, just wish it had color but it is a HUGE beauty with original labels so no complaints, if someone wants it just ask......

091.jpg

While getting ready to pay for the Olive Jar and leave I noticed a box of early 1900 glass paperweights with real photographs on the back of each one and to my suprise there was a "New City Hall from Paterson N.J." dating to 1905, I stayed for that last lot and got 8 nice paperweights with photo's dating from the late 1890's-1920's which I will be selling on e-bay and I added the nice City Hall to my personal collection....here they are from Niagara Falls, Cog Railway Mt. Washington New Hampshire, Union Station St. Louis, Saranac Lake Lodge, Mt. Pisgah North Carolina, New City hall paterson NJ and one of a building and a man but I need to research who and where it is.......Oh yeah a huge Lucky Nickel from St. Augistine Fla. , about 2" across was in the box as well.....

092.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

080.jpg

083.jpg

Almost forgot the glass cornacopia thingy which looks like some type of ink well or something, any thoughts, it's 6-7" long ?????

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

thanx for looking at my huge over done post, your input is important, welcome and cherished by me so any thoughts you have please post them.........Jim

Lordbud

Reaction score
Unreal! Those photo in glass paperweights are amazing. Congrats![;)]

epackage

Reaction score
Thanx LB, I went out today and was able to get 4 good bottles, 3 are local and the other is just the coolest embossed bottle I own.....

084.jpg

086.jpg

098.jpg

Carl H. Schultz NY Aerated Distilled Water Six Pints, embossed with a seltzer bottle on the back and SCHULTZ....Square bottle with original wire bail and stopper with $0.20 return painted on it as you can see. I think it's a great buy at $20 and the Lemon soda was $5, they just never survive with the labels intact...

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Thanx Joe, it really didn't make sense to beat each other over the head when I wanted only one bottle and he was gonna resell the rest. He needed the Hood bottle for his collection and was still nice enough to let me have it for not running the price up on the whole lot....From now on I will make sure each auction I go to I will look for the other bottle people and make similar offers.

I love that big ole' Schultz, cool to have a square bottle with such cool embossing...

epackage

Reaction score
I am hoping someone could shed some light on it........

epackage

Reaction score
Almost forgot that I got this nice Wm. T. Allen blob with a backwards N in NJ, I have this bottle in 2 other forms but have never seen it with the N in reverse....

098-1.jpg

099.jpg

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I collect Mt Washington stuff, so if you're interested in selling, pm me a price. I have no idea what they're worth, but I am interested. [:)]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I could even through in that book I found with Drugstore advertising from Paterson New Jersey. (If I can figure out where I put it).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26