Pepsi Bottle Cap

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jpoland13

Reaction score
If memory serves (I should look this back up to be sure, but...) The orange cap is from the 20s -- about the time of the drum bottle. This is when Pepsi went bankrupt and was moved to Richmond, VA. I know the green caps were used on the peanut bottle (saw a picture of an old metal sign with this bottle and a green cap). This bottle was short lived in the early 30s right before Pepsi went bankrupt again. I don't know what caps the really early bottles used although I have seen a really early blue cap on ebay that went in the $100s. I know that the 12 ounce bottles used a yellow cap so I would guess that the green caps date to the peanut bottle and earlier.Oh, I think the second (bottom) dot on the first cap just got erased in the printing process.There was also a green cap produced in 1973 for the amber 75th anniversary bottle that is identical to your center cap.

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
jpoland13 said:
If memory serves (I should look this back up to be sure, but...) The orange cap is from the 20s -- about the time of the drum bottle.  This is when Pepsi went bankrupt and was moved to Richmond, VA.  I know the green caps were used on the peanut bottle (saw a picture of an old metal sign with this bottle and a green cap).  This bottle was short lived in the early 30s right before Pepsi went bankrupt again.  I don't know what caps the really early bottles used although  I have seen a really early blue cap on ebay that went in the $100s. I know that the 12 ounce bottles used a yellow cap so I would guess that the green caps date to the peanut bottle and earlier.
Oh, I think the second (bottom) dot on the first cap just got erased in the printing process.
There was also a green cap produced in 1973 for the amber 75th anniversary bottle that is identical to your center cap.

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
Thanks for the information guys. I believe the center cap is a cap they used for a short time but it is old.

PepsiCollector

Reaction score
The far left cap is from the mid to late 1920's. Pepsi was sold and they went back to the single dot caps for a couple years, before going back again to the double dot. So, it's not as simple as the common knowledge of very late 1940's changing over to single dot and everything before that being double dot. They also had single dot at the very beginning from 1902 to 1905-6?? (I believe) Those would be your orange caps. I believe the blue caps came after the orange caps. The far right cap would be your standard double dot 1920's to very early 1930's cap. Just passing on all the info I remember getting while I started collecting, from a very knowledgeable Pepsi cap collector. I also have the first cap.

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. That sounds more accurate. Also refering the very first Pepsi cap, are you talking about the black cap or what cap? I would love to see yours to compare it to the very early Pepsi caps I have. I have a black Pepsi cap and I have been told . I'm trying to learn more about the early Pepsi caps.

Thanks

PepsiCollector

Reaction score
I've never seen a black one. Could you post a pic of it? Also, you can tell the orange cap is pre 1909 because of the thinner script.

jpoland13

Reaction score
I have to disagree about the orange cap. Richmond became the home of Pepsi after Bradham went bankrupt in the 20s. The cap say Pepsi Cola Corp, not Bottling Co, so it's referring to the home office. I think the the orange cap has to be from the 20s.

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
PepsiCollector said:
I've never seen a black one. Could you post a pic of it? Also, you can tell the orange cap is pre 1909 because of the thinner script.

Here is the black Pepsi cap I have. I'm pretty sure it is the earliest Pepsi cap I have.

Also, I have an orange cap from Winston-Salem, NC. I don't know if it will help on the dating of the orange caps or not.

Attachments

• FDE77C2774E14DD08F8561F7893AD43E.jpg
    FDE77C2774E14DD08F8561F7893AD43E.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 3DEF749A7EF9468183CF46EF60B778CA.jpg
    3DEF749A7EF9468183CF46EF60B778CA.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 127

PepsiCollector

Reaction score
The orange cap says Bottling Co., so how does that put it in the 20's? I know Bradham went bankrupt in 1923, and Pepsi was also sold in 1931, so not sure if those dates help as far as logo changes or not.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen