play in the sand

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
Yay! I won! How utterly nerve-wracking, though, slugging it out with bidders who have a long history of winning and paying anything to be top dog! Now I can add this amethyst skull-head bottle to my collection. I just hope I didn't make anybody mad at me ...

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
well no luck so far but i am VERY excited about coming back....when i get back to indy i am going to get certified in diving (i mean i want to know exactly what im doing not just a little crash course and a card that says i passed) and when i come back i am going to tackle my dream peir! i found a peir down here that is 1000 feet long, and was built in 1888, and has been rebuilt 3 times because of hurricane damage......I cant wait because the peir goes 1000 feet into THE GULF, and the water is very very rough.....I would bet my life that no one has gone diving in it before...and its deep....once i know what im doing ill come down here and find the best guy i can to go with so i dont get slautered by the rocks and posts, and im going underwater diggin!!!! It was originally built for freight ships and such, and since 1888, im pretty damn confident many people have thrown/accidentally dropped things off of it.....it will be great who knows what ill find! i will have 1000 feet of unexplored ocean bottom full of bottles and other junk treasures....its a few months from now and i still cant stop thinking about it...YES! haha

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
not to mention that im pretty sure they wont have the stains like when buried in soil, and there shouldnt be any case wear, etc.....mint condition!!!!![:D]

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
heres a pic of it from the air....wouldnt you love to go dive it!?

Vt56210.jpg

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
"Built in 1888 as a freight and passenger dock, The Pier stands as a community landmark. Narrow gauge train rails spanning the length of the pier transported freight and baggage in the early 1900's. Part of the structure as well as the post office located on the pier was razed by fire in 1922. Rebuilt after damage by hurricanes in 1910, 1926 and 1960, it remains a public symbol of the area's history."

and holy crap i just read that this peir, along with a 16 story hotel, were the first things EVER constructed in this area!!!! At first the peir was only 600 feet, apparently, but after the fire and hurricanes they added on more each time.....I WISH I COULD DIVE NOW[:(]

warith

Reaction score
Hey RazorsEdge,

I've done some bottle hunting underwater, and I'm sorry to have to tell you, but there has been a lot of underwater bottle hunting over the last tihrty years, I think that very few piers have been missed. The other problem with bottles found underwater; they are almost always in very poor condition, the movement of the sand damages them, in some cases severely. In a few years of diving, I've probably found less than 10% of bottles that are only sligtly sick, the rest have been generally poor. I've probably only found three bottles all up (out of a few thousand) that are both good finds and that are about mint condition.

Tell us how you go with your underwater air-bubble idea. It sounds pretty crackpot, but I find that it's always fun to try crackpot things every now and then (ie: a few times daily! :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.