Please Help ID Grandma's collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
sesty said:
Thanks for all the info! I'll have to do some digging into the other two jars. I like the look of them and since they're are not worth a whole lot i think i will hang on to them. The A Stone jar appears to have an iron pontil scar with most of the residue still apparent. What is the best route for trying to get it sold? Clean the inside or leave it cloudy? Are there specially auction sites on line or something. I live in Central NJ near the beach, are there physical auctions as well?
Leave it let let the buyer decide.

For fruit jars, probably Greg Spurgeon. Send an email with some pics.
I've never owned anything worth aucioning so that's just what I hear (read).I wouldn't gamble on any local unadvertised auction. It may or may not have the buyers your looking for.Your going to pay a commission no matter where you go unless you find a collector at your door.[:D]Have shared your grandmother what you know so far? That would be the first thing on my mind to do.

sandchip

Reaction score
Beautiful and very desirable jar. I don't know how old your grandmother's house is, but I would suggest thoroughly going through the attic, crawlspace (if partial basement) and every nook and cranny in between. No telling what else may be hiding. Good bunch of folks here who will tell you what you've got.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd definitely have this jar professionally cleaned. That way, it'll bring a premium price at auction. Greg Spurgeon usually gets really good prices for rare jars, but since you are in New Jersey, you should also check out the Glassworks auction folks who are in Lambertville NJ. http://www.glswrk-auction.com/ Good luck with your sale! -Tammy

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Give me $1 and I'll wash it with a plastic scrubby, soap and some water. By a loose definition, getting paid will make me a professional. [:D] I think there was a poll on here and by about a 2/3 majority it was don't tumble if not real stained, stating they would pay less, not be interested at all or want the choice. I don't recall anyone saying they would pay a premium (more that the $40 or so to tumble it) for one. Tumbling is considered an alteration and would, by most reputable auction houses have a disclosure notice.As a basement, not dug, find it's about a close to perfect as you can get in my opinion.Also tumbling is tricky. It can go right or horribly wrong. Just preserving the iron pontil is a bit of a task compared to a smooth base and lose the pontil, lose half the value. Those are my thoughts.

coreya

Reaction score
What eric said is the max that I would do to clean it! wipe with a damp cloth and let dry.

sesty

Reaction score
thanks for the responses! I think ill save a dollar and use my own soap! lol I have been in contact with Greg about getting the jar on the December auction block. I have to ship it out by tomorrow in order for it to get there on time. If that falls through will definitely check out the auction in Lambertville, its right near my office. My grandmother was very excited to learn that one of the jars was actually worth something.. they had been sitting in basement holding dust.

sesty

Reaction score
the lid i have would go to a "Robert Gibson's Mixed Fruit Tablets" jar or something similar, it was Made by E.C. Rich company New York. The Eleazor Rich Company (E.C. Rich) were importers of specialties, candies, etc. He was in business at least through 1920. The jars are apparently fairly common

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Ah yes, I see now and stand corrected. I forgot about those and misinterpreted Red Book.. I can't get an idea of the size but maybe THIS.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229