Pontiled torpedo, London

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Had a good day at a bottle show today. Picked up several nice pieces of glass, but sold enough stoneware that the glass 'cost' me nothing. This dark green torpedo from the 1820s was a surprise towards the end of the show. Not really mint due to a matt surface and some scratches, but no chips or cracks, and a beautiful patina. Dug within the past couple of months not far from where I live: a late throw-out found among early 20th century rubbish. The dark marks in the neck are patina on the inside. I won't be getting this one cleaned.

Embossed "Hamiltons Patent / Aerated Waters & c / Sold By R. Johnston / 15 Greek St London". I've been looking for one of these for a long time: Robt Johnston's name crops up repeatedly in patent medicine advertisements from the 1790s through to the 1830s and later. A very nice go-with for the medicines collection.

31FAEFEEE4D7438BBBDC1FB5DE7A30C3.jpg

Attachments

• 31FAEFEEE4D7438BBBDC1FB5DE7A30C3.jpg
    31FAEFEEE4D7438BBBDC1FB5DE7A30C3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 58

David Fertig

Reaction score
A little outside my collecting area, but I could find some shelf space for it.

Much nicer then the newer English stuff that shows up at the shoppes around here.

Ace10Tex

Reaction score
Jerry ,

very cool looking older bottle. I like the torpedo bottles and the crudeness of this one makes it not just early very desirable i my book!! Great find and congrats!! Ace

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Wow they found that with 20th century junk?? man they must have been doing back flips when it popped out! [:D] "ya never know"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen