Pontilled Cobalt Swirl Thingy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I've had this for a while but never really thought about identifying it. It looked so good on a shelf in the sun I just never really took the time. Any ideas what it might be? It doesn't really match any of the bottles in McKearin's because the neck is too long.

WP_20130810_030.jpg

WP_20130810_031.jpg

WP_20130810_032.jpg

It has a few pot stones in it as well. I tried to get pics of a couple of them but they didn't turn out, and the weather is not cooperating.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Michael, I winter in Sarasota FL, I didn't see where you are on your personal page.

I think you pattern bottle is what they refer to as Midwestern Glass. I have one or two of them and one is very similar to yours. I know Zanesville Glass was one of the producers. I also think they are neat ones to have in a collection.

Check my homepage, RED Matthews

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Thanks Red! I looked at some Zanesville bottles, but because mine didn't have the outward rolled lip I didn't really think that was it. There are some Midwestern flasks that are swirled and have the same lip treatment, but I haven't identified who made them. Maybe they were Zanesville, too? What are the dates of Zanesville Glass Works?

Anyway, it really does look great in a window!

I live in Palatka, which is inland from St Augustine. Opposite coast and way north of Sarasota. Still, next time you pass by contact me. I'd be happy to show you my (very meager) collection.

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Michael, there are a bunch of items that look VERY similar to yours that are recently (20th century) produced but yours has an authentic, old appearance to it. The pontil and base wear look great for it being late 18th - early 19th century but I am not as familiar with this type of ware to make a positive identification for you. Definitely hold on to it until you get positive I.D. from others. It could be rather valuable.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Awesome! I was thinking later, like 1850s - 1860s maybe. I will definitely hold on to it at least until I can get an approximate value.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Sorry to report that yours is a modern "fantasy" piece Michael. Wish I had better news!!!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Ah, well... I would never have known had I not asked. It still looks incredible sitting in a window, so I am not out anything. Thank you for the information!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks