Pontils, Colored Sodas etc. at Yard Sale!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Last weekend I went to the Scituate Art Festival with a friend. We were about to head out when I saw a yard sale sporting some jugs. I checked it out and found one nice jug from Providence, but he wanted $100 for it. I then notices a box full of dirty bottles. Removing some ABM junk I was surprised to see a pontiled food jar! I found 3 local bottles, a pontiled Dr. Janye's Carminative Balsam, an a nice Washington DC druggist. In all I picked out 8 bottles for $18. He said he would have more if I came back tomorrow.

I was pretty excited but also stressed because I worked until 3. I imagined all the bottles getting sold throughout the day. Luckily when I arrived he had forgot to bring them from his house. Soon he was back with another large basket full of bottles. Right on top was a colored RI soda! It was an emerald green J. Harvey & Co. Providence, RI squat. Next to it was an E. Jenckes green squat soda (also from RI) with an improved pontil. They both had lip damage but I don't really have an excuse to complain [:D] I kept pulling out nice bottles, a what appeared to be free-blown wine or champagne, an 1870s Dr. S. Pitcher's Castoria, an early Vegetable Pulmonary Balsam, 3 pontils including an aqua shoe polish with the original applicator, and then the big surprise. I pulled out what I thought was an unembossed olive green english medicine. It had a solid pontil mark and very crude applied lip. Only later on did I see it was embossed on the sides "Guerlain/ Eau Lustrale"

The seller said his dad used to clean out houses in the 1970s. Most of them were covered in dirt, looking fresh from some crawl space or excavation. I ended up paying $40 for the lot. And by now I imagine you're ready to see some pictures...

Day 1:
Pontiled food and A. Hasselbaum Prov. RI soda on right
6234647690_5566875d67_z.jpg

Pontil, slick, F.S. Thompson Washington, A.L. Calder Providence, Dr. Seth Arnold's Cough Killer,
Dr. D. Jayne's Carminative Balsam Philada
6234123195_7558baf541_z.jpg

Day 2:
Two crude wine bottles, 1870s Sawyer's Crystal Blueing, second to last is a Riker-Hegeman
6234647984_867f1fb2a7_z.jpg

Early Dr. S. Pitcher's Castoria, pontil, ponitled shoe polish, pontil, Vegetable Pulmonary Baslsam
6234648298_4cd041a145_z.jpg

J. Harvey & Co., S. Jenckes, blown? wine, plain wine, Guerlain Eau Lustrale
6234647888_d3f1d9c572_z.jpg

6234123813_d08e137caa_z.jpg

I'll have more pictures once I clean them up!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I have never been to such an interesting yard sale.. that must have been VERY fun to stumble upon! [:)]

THE BADGER

Reaction score
WHAT P-DIGGER AND JOE SAID !I COULD BE WRONG BUT I THOUGHT SOME YEARS AGO ANDY GOLDFRANK FROM THIS FORUM DUG ONE OF THOSE IN NEW YORK.IM PRETTY SURE IT WAS A GREENISH COLORED GUERLAIN AND I BELIEVE HE WAS VERY HAPPY TO HAVE PULLED THAT ONE OUT.GREAT FINDS BRO. BADGER

sandchip

Reaction score
You lucky dog! Talk about being the right place at the right time! Good for you!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4