Possible dive site

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
So here's tha place that got me so interested the other day. This is a really old house, looks like early 1800s or earlier. The cool thing it (and it doesn't really come across from looking at the pictures) is that the Conn. River runs right past the back of the yard. Literally 20 feet from where you see the grass end is a steep embankment that drops down into the river.

The "oldest bottle" thread got me thinking of this place because I found that old medicine about 1/4 mile downstream of where this house is. I've never been in the water here but you can bet I plan to as soon as the mud clears. Wayne, you're welcome to come join us, but your boat wouldn't fit (this is in a stretch of the river where there is a 15hp motor limit, and it gets real shallow in spots). I'm planning on buying an inflatable very soon though, I'll be able to put my medium motor on and get us up there.

Sean

Rp43410.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43410.jpg
    Rp43410.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 59

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Sean...

Any possibility of approaching the owner for permission to cross his property? That works out well sometimes. Make a shore entry, swim around and pick up some glass and then crawl out like a lizard on all fours!![:eek:]

Wayne

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Wayne,

There's a slight problem with that plan: I'm a conservation commissioner in town and I have to avoid conflict of interest as much as possible, especially with this being a riverfront property. It sucks because there is a business that owns the next plot upstream that leads right to the water's edge, but for the same reason I don't want to approach them.

If I get my inflatable (which I'm determined to get) that will get up to this site easily, and then I won't mess up any future CC responsibilities.

I'm going to scout it out in my kayak with a friend of mine soon and I'll post some pics from the water side.

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Sean...

I understand your dilema...but your position wouldn't affect me going to the business owner or property owner and asking permission would it? Unless you want to leave the whole"access permission" issue aside and just do the inflatable boat routine.

Of course, if the location turns out to be a huge producer of Stoddards, Keene's, Coventry's... Inks, flasks, demijohns, bitters, open pontiled meds, etc... would you consider resigning your position on the Conservation Commission???[8|]

Only kidding, I respect your concern and appreciate the position you have taken concerning even the appearance of any conflict of interest. I wish more politicians felt the same way...[&o]

Wayne

dirtflicker

Reaction score
WAYNE......YOU MAKE ME LAUGH BUDDY.......I AM LMAO!!!!! [:D][;)]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

amblypygi

Reaction score
Heh, yeah. If there are too many keepers I might have to rethink my ethical stance. Although I also have to confess: this isn't about my moral values, but rather that I want to avoid pain in the ass situations! I'm not being ethical, I'm being lazy [:D]

If someone else asked for permission, that would solve the problem, so if you end up down here and want to ask, that's fine with me. The other advantage of taking a boat though, is that we would cover much more unexplored river and maybe find another spot that deserved a tank or two. The thing about that area of the river is that it's unusually shallow, so who knows. I'll find out more in the next few weeks because I'm going to paddle out there and look.

If I get this boat (it's a matter of convincing the significant other that the expenditure of $3000 would be offset by the tax write-off since it's a business expense), then I think that would be the best approach. It's a big 14 foot inflatable that will carry much diver and equipment. I worked with one up in NH and they are solid as a rock, I was surprised.

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Sean:

I get a sizeable discount at one of the local marine suppliers, let me know if I can help out some... Cash is kind of tight right now, but let me know if I can help out in any other way...[:-] I have plenty of anchors, line, chain, vests, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, flare kits... you name it.[;)]

Of course I am not opposed to asking permission. A lot of people feel better that we would not be digging on the property but merely crossing it to get to the edge of the water. As long as I have been able to show them that I am an experienced diver, polite and offer something to the owner, we have been very fortunate going that route.

I have only had one woman turn me down (for permission to cross her property...[:eek:] that is.) and it turned out that she was a member of the local Historical (hysterical...) antiquities preservation comittee who said I could'nt dig on her property. I explained that I was not going to dig, just walk across it... she became a bit aggitated and said that diving and taking artifacts was just as bad as digging for them! [:'(]

I told her that the water was public, and commented that she could expect to see me coming by boat and gave her my business card with name, phone number and a photo of my boat...[:eek:] I'll let her know what I find...[:D] What I should do is take over a collection of my most cherrished pieces (Stoddard flasks, inks and Iberian olive jar) and tell her I found them right in front of her propperty!!![8|][;)][8|][:D][;)][8|]

Wayne[&:]

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hey Wayne,

Whoa, I missed this post! Glad I ain't bought my boat yet, I'll check with you on price before I order it.

I went out to the place on the river I was talking about and paddled it with a friend of mine. The river has some potential areas, although it's not too deep. Looks to be about 8-10 feet in one dumpy area, and shallower in another. The best potential dump was up a side stream a ways, we dug some good shards there. This fruit jar fragment was right on the surface (pic below), and my buddy found a neck that looked to be really early, maybe even 1790s. We plan to get back out there at some point.

There is a huge dump downstream of that house I mentioned, but it's in a gully separated from the river by a big berm, I don't think anything made it into the water. The dump itself is daunting, tons of large metal stuff covering everything and an army of perky young poison ivy vines just starting to leaf out. In a few weeks the place will be impossible to get into and out of in one piece.

Anyway, thanks for the offer of looking into your marine supplier discount! I might take you up on that and drive up to Maine rather than spend close to $300 on shipping from the website I have been looking at.

Sean

Ca82561.jpg

Attachments

• Ca82561.jpg
    Ca82561.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads