Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Post Mold vs. Hinge Mold


Well-Known Member
Feb 28, 2012
Can some help clarify the difference between a Post Mold & a Hinge Mold? I know the Post Mold had a circular ring & 2 base seams & the Hinge Mold usually had a base seam going straight across the base. This is a Hinge Mold that confuses me: http://www.sha.org/bottle/hostetterbase.jpg.Can someone help me understand the difference & help clear up this issue? Thanks for any advice!


Well-Known Member
Jan 23, 2010
Hi Sharon the Booz bottle and a lot of bitters bottles used the type of mold you are asking about. Here is a picture of an original E G Booz bottle from my collection and the original Whitney glass works Mold which is in the collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Basically the hinge is located across the bottom. During the operation of the blowing the mold attendant helper could open and close the mold as needed by the gaffer. This type of mold allowed the entire glass parison to be viewed by the gaffer as it began to take shape in the mold. Side mounted hinge molds made it tougher for the gaffer to see the entire 360 view of the bottle as one side remained in the mold. [attachment=P1130181 (Large).JPG] [attachment=CabinTreadleMold.jpg]


RED Matthews

Well-Known Member
Aug 2, 2008
Sarasota FL & Burdett NY
When there is a seam that goes straight across the bottom on a diagonal from one side of the mold to the other it is a hinged mold that opened to let the glass item be removed. If there was a bottom hinge on the mold that a center cavity post that was a post mold and the seam would go around one side of the center post imprint in the bottle. There is also a key mold term used if the mold halves locked around the post. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Latest member