Potential Threat to Bottle Diving // Divers/ Snorkelers

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kevin,

Read This, and see what'ya say...

snakehead_fish.jpeg
From.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
These fish are certainly built for survival. The more you read about them the moe I am thinking the native species of fish are going to be hard hit.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: xxfollyxx

According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, snakeheads have also been spotted in California, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Rhode Island! Well if I see one I'll impale it with my rake. It doesn't seem too dangerous. It might scare you and draw a little blood, but it certainly isn't worse than what we already have (snapping turtles, water moccasins).

Conch times

Reaction score
Your kidding us right?? If your actually scared of these creatures don't plan on diving in the ocean any time soon!! That's just a little baby nothing compared what we dive with down here!!! Picture yourself diving down to pick up the snapper you just shot for dinner and a 10' bullshark comes along and takes the fish and the spear from you.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I would be more afraid of the microscoping things swimming in the water than the macroscopic ones no matter how many teeth they have[;)]. Especially in the potomac river or the chesapeake sewer...I mean bay..

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Conch, I am not kidding. The thought of being attacked underwater by a six foot frankenfish does not make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I generally dont dive open ocean. I have dove with about 50 or so harbor seals at the Isle of Shoals off the coast here( probably not the smartest move as the Great Whites are becoming more numerous in the area).
I agree with your thoughts about a bull shark and I hope to never meet one. I have seen many giant snappers face to face, they too scare me pretty good as well because the blend in so well like a big river rock. They usually have this look about them like "Just what the hell do you think your doing down here in my river". I get the message and move away quickly and calmly never taking my eyes off it.
This fish however Ive never seen one, its not quite a bull shark, but in what I have learned so far they are going to be here to stay. They breed like crazy, they can move across land, stay out of water for up to 4 days, they agressively protect and defend their young. They are from the sound and looks of it pretty bad a#% .

Mainedigger from what I have read they are delicous as well, considered a delicacy in the Philipines.

I just thought this post could also serve as a public service to be on the lookout for these guys when out fishing, diving,swimming etc...

C321377E40624BD0AF43D81C9B1FA7F4.jpg

Attachments

• C321377E40624BD0AF43D81C9B1FA7F4.jpg
    C321377E40624BD0AF43D81C9B1FA7F4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 84

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
"Snakeheads are also air-breathers. The fish will come to the surface, lift its head up, grab a mouthful of air and then submerge. The oxygen diffuses directly into a dense network of blood vessels encircling its swim bladder, an organ that doubles as a simple lung in snakeheads. This allows the fish to survive in stagnant areas where oxygen levels are low. It can even walk on land, using its soft pectorals to drag itself to new locations. It's said a snakehead can survive out of water for up to 4 days."
Yup, give 'em a few hundred years and they'll have legs. Then digging won't be safe either. [:D] or [:mad:]

Conch times

Reaction score
Hey Kevin, I'm just raggin on ya buddy! I'm sure that your not in water as clear as I get to dive in so I'm sure there's some anxiety issues with not being able to see what's around you. I get that way when I dive around wrecks or big structures, you never know what's going to pop out on ya! My buddy was diving with a 30' whale shark a couple weeks back, even though they are harmless to humans that's still a big boy to swim with! I'll put up a pic he got of the whale shark if you want to see.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4